Chapter Five

My initial prediction hadn't been that far off. Only forty-two of us moved on to the second round. Thankfully, with my fourth-place ranking, I hadn't really needed to worry anyway. Afterall, everyone knew that sixteen students would battle head-to-head in the final round. I'd been safe thanks to my quick thinking and desire to prove myself.

        The next round ended up being a cavalry battle. I didn't have a clue as to what that meant, but given the mixed responses from those around me, it seemed as though I wasn't the only one and that this might prove to be much more difficult than the obstacle race.

        Izuku was awarded ten million points for coming in first. For the rest of us, the student who came in last got five, second-to-last ten, and so on and so forth. That meant I'd received one hundred and ninety-five points. A solid number all things considered, but in no way the prize everyone had their eyes on. I almost pitied the kid. But, I'd seen him strategize. There was no doubt in my mind that I'd be seeing my friend in the next round as well.

        "First years!" Announced Midnight as helpful illustrations appeared on the screen. "These are the rules that you'll abide by: The game itself will last fifteen minutes. Individual point values will be added together to reach your team total. Everyone will know how much you're worth thanks to your headbands. Swipe as many headbands as you can to raise your team's score.

        "Stolen headbands must be worn from the neck up. So the more you steal, the harder it'll be to manage them. And another thing, even if your headband gets stolen or your team falls down, you can keep playing until time's up.

        "This is going to be rough. You may use your Quirks as much as you'd like. But, there are still rules! Make a team fall on purpose and I'll slap you with a red card. You'll be disqualified! Now, you've got fifteen minutes to build your teams. I recommend you get started."

        With the go-ahead from our ref, students began strategizing and picking out their desired teammates. I wasn't really expecting anyone to come up and invite me to join them, even if I did have a decent amount of points. The issue was no one knew who would have them in the end. A solid beginning didn't necessarily mean a definitive win. I could team up with those who already had a good chunk of points, or I could work with some of the students who'd gotten less but still had admirable quirks.

        And yet, at the same time, I needed to be with someone who needed to win. That sort of drive, especially if it came from someone in 1-A would be the key to victory here. Finally taking a moment to look around, my eyes met Todoroki. He gave me a short nod. I did admire his talent, and he was incredible during the obstacle race. This could work.

        "Hey! You're joining my team, you damn villain!" A familiar voice barked. "Get your ass over here!"

        So would Kacchan.

        I gave Todoroki an apologetic look before turning around to face the ash-blonde boy.

        "You know, Kacchan, considering you knew me as a kid, the least you could do is use my actual name."

        "Whatever, Satomi. I need your damn Quirk."

        My hands flew to my heart. "Imagine Kacchan needing a girl's help to win! I could never have predicted such a turn of events!"

        "Shut up, moron. Do you want the ten million or what?" He said, arms crossed over his chest.

        I smirked, eyes gleaming. "You know I do."

🟂🟂🟂

        Our team ended up consisting of Kacchan, Kirishima, Ashido, and I. Kirishima was going to be our 'front horse.' With his hardening Quirk, not only could he serve as a strong defense against other teams, but he could also survive Kacchan's explosive outbursts. Ashido would take the right side, her acid allowing for some mobility and another way to trip up our opponents. That left me on the left and Kacchan as our rider.