Chapter 1

Butterflies fluttered in Ankhesenamun's stomach. Sweat dotted every surface of her exposed skin, and her throat felt dry as the desert. Twisting her fingers, she anxiously awaited Oni's return. Did somebody catch the messenger? Did Oni get captured on her way to the meeting place?

Her feet smacked the ground, and as she turned to pace in the other direction, the smell of burning incense wafted past her. Inhaling the smoky scent of cinnamon, Ankhesenamun felt her stomach churn and her throat go sour.

Lunging in the direction of the pool, she tried to avoid the sacred water, but her stomach twisted sharply, and she ended up with her head over the water just as she retched. She watched as the contents of her earlier meal emptied itself into the rippling water. As she finished, her back slumped against the stonework of the pool, and she slid to the ground. Heat spread across her cheeks as she buried her face in her hands, shame flooding through her entire body.

She had just vomited in the purifying pool! The sacred water of the temple dedicated to the Goddess Isis!

"My Queen, are you alright?"

Removing her hands, Ankhesenamun saw her handmaiden rushing towards her. Oni's dark skin was as smooth as marble, the ebony of her hair spilling down the skin of her shoulders, and her white sheath dress clung to her figure as she moved. She is so beautiful.

"What happened? Are you hurt?" Oni asked, crouching down next to her on the floor.

"I'm fine, Oni. I just felt a little sick." she replied, trying to brush off her concern.

"Okay, but I still worry, you need to look after yourself."

Looking at her handmaiden, Ankhesenamun became lost in her captivating eyes. They were a mix between brown and the rich-red hues from a carnelian gemstone. They reminded her of embers, smouldering in the remains of a dying fire. Ankhesenamun's heart began to race, and her breaths came out in deep puffs.

"My Queen, I have the letter."

Ankhesenamun froze as Oni's words took form and pulled her back into the real world. The moment I've been waiting for has finally come.

"Are we alone?" she whispered.

"Yes, my Queen. The priestesses still believe that you are praying, so they have moved to the far side of the temple." Oni replied, reaching into the inside of her dress and pulling out a folded-up piece of papyrus.

Ankhesenamun's fingers trembled, and her palms shook as she took the letter from Oni. Breaking the seal, she opened the letter and began to read.

My Lady,

I have conceded to your request, and my son Prince Zannanza is now on route to Egypt. However, he cannot arrive and find his future bride still married to the Pharaoh. You must eliminate the Pharaoh before my son comes to secure your position. I will not have war with Egypt and put the safety of my people at risk. Eliminate the threat, and you will unite the kingdoms of Egypt and the Hittites. Long live the Queen.

King Suppiluliuma

Ankhesenamun dropped the letter, inhaling deeply as dread flooded through every fibre of her being. It was the response she had been hoping for, and at the same time, it was not.

"What does it say?" Oni asked, wariness in her tone.

"The Hittite King has accepted my request, and one of his sons is now on his way to marry me."

"My Queen that is—"

"But I have to kill the Pharaoh before he arrives." Ankhesenamun said quickly, cutting her off.

Ankhesenamun sat in silence as Oni processed what she said, silence filling the room. Suddenly, Oni gripped her hand, and their fingers interwove with each other.

"My Queen, you cannot do such a thing! It would be risking your own life!"

"What choice do I have? Ay has stolen my family's throne, and I need a powerful husband to rule. You know how it is for us; men do not want to be ruled by a woman."

"But you need to think about your—"

"I know Oni, but I cannot sit by and let Ay reign as Pharaoh. Especially, not after his actions in the wake of my brother's death."

The pain of her brother's passing washed through her, placing a blazing fire within her heart which spread throughout her entire body, burning hotter as it turned into a fiery rage. Fisting her free hand into the ground, Ankhesenamun slowly stood, pulling Oni up with her.

"I have made my decision; I will be the Queen of Egypt. I do not expect you to support me, Oni. I know it is dangerous."

"You are my Queen, and I will always look out for you."

Oni's fingers tightened through her own, and Ankhesenamun paused when she noticed her handmaiden's face. Her eyes were shining brightly, pink lightly dusted her cheeks, and her lips curved into a smile.

"I am sorry, Oni, but you know that we cannot...."

Oni dropped her hand and stepped back, her eyes now devoid of any spark and filled with sadness.

"The litter is waiting outside my Queen," Oni said, her voice growing quiet.

In response, Ankhesenamun lifted her chin, straightened her spine and pushed back her shoulders. She could not afford to show any emotion of what had just occurred between them. Before she could forget, she quickly reached down and picked up the fallen letter tucking it safely inside the top of her dress. Brushing away stray strands of hair away from her face and shaking out the folds of her skirt, she began to walk toward the exit.

Walking past the walls of the temple, she caught light flickering out of the corner of her eye. Coming to a halt, she looked up at the scenes before her. The Goddess Isis, with her son Horus, washed in the golden light from the morning sun. The scenes depicted Horus at threat from the jackal-headed God Set and other dangerous beings such as snakes and even illness. Isis protected her child in every stage, shielding him with her body and using her power to keep the threats at bay.

Ankhesenamun slid her hands down the linen folds of her dress until they reached her stomach. Gently pressing her hands into her belly, she inhaled deeply, and her eyes drifted shut. The Goddess would do anything to protect her child, no matter the consequences. I can be as powerful as Isis, and I will do whatever it takes.

Approaching the open doorway, Ankhesenamun quickly reached inside her dress and threw the letter into one of the burning urns of fire that framed the entrance. Destroying any evidence of her secret correspondence.

She stepped out of the temple and into the hot Egyptian climate. Strands of hair whipped her face, and her eyes blinked rapidly from being blasted by the strength of the sun. Sand crunched beneath her sandals as she walked towards the litter waiting at the end of the path, and her guards bowed as she passed them.

Approaching the litter, she paused before the servants who would be carrying the bulky contraption.

"I want to make a stop at the army encampment to see General Horemheb."