Chapter 3

Her hair shone as black as the evening sky, crowned under a jewelled circlet adorned with the cobra in honour of the Goddess, Wadjet. Her olive skin gleamed from the lavender-scented oil, and kohl outlined her honey-brown eyes. Finally, her gold silken dress fell to the floor in waves and sparkled in the candlelight. I look like a true Queen of Egypt.

"You look as beautiful as the Goddesses Isis and Hathor combined, my Queen." The maid said, kneeling as she finished lacing Ankhesenamun's sandals.

"Thank you," Ankhesenamun replied, placing the snake bracelets made of lapis lazuli, quartz and gold on her wrists and upper arms.

"As much as I appreciate your help, do you know where my handmaiden is?"

"I believe she has been held up in the laundry, washing some of your dresses, my lady."

"Oh."

            I have not seen Oni since she saw me with me, the General. I hope she is alright.

"That is all, thank you. I best not keep Ay waiting any longer."

With a swish of her skirt, Ankhesenamun left her chambers and headed down the gilded corridor to the dining room. Her sandals clacked against the floor, the sound echoing off the walls. It was strange, for there should have been servants running around in the early evening. Turning right onto the following passage, she met the Medjai lining each side of the walkway that led to the dining room. They stood silent and imposing with their spears held perfectly upright, ready for any attack.

Her heart began to race like the legs of a warhorse, and her palms felt clammy as she pushed the doors open to the dining room. Ay stood at the head of the table, casting a shadow of unease into the room. He wore a white tunic with a pleated kilt of rich blue that did nothing for his aging masculinity, and the patterned cape attached to his shoulders did not emphasise his status as the Pharaoh. He wore no headdress, and the baldness of his head was noticeable even in the candlelight. He is old enough to be my Grandfather, not the Pharaoh of Egypt!

"Good evening, my Lady, please take a seat; our meal should be here shortly." Ay said.

"Thank you, Ay, but I would rather stand for the moment." Ankhesenamun declined warily, folding her hands in front of her stomach.

"After two months, you still refuse to call me the Pharaoh."

"And you and many others refuse to call me by my proper title as Queen."

"That title belongs to my Great Royal Wife, Tey."

"I am the widow of Tutankhamun and the last surviving member of the Royal Family. I am Queen by right of blood whether you recognise it or not!"

Breathing heavily with the ferocity of a raging bull, she stormed across the room to Ay and swung her right hand back. As anticipated, Ay's hand shot out and grabbed Ankhesenamun's wrist. Pain blazed down her arm as a venomous snake had struck her, and his nails dug deep enough to draw blood as he gripped her to the bone. I have him right where I want him.

"Now you are showing your true colours!" Ay exclaimed, his eyes gleaming with something sinister.

"What do you expect? You waited for my brother to die, immediately seized power and proceeded to erase him from Egypt's history."

"He was too young and weak. He does not deserve to be remembered as a great Pharaoh."

            Behind Ay, General Horemheb approached from the shadows. Even from the darkness, Ankhesenamun could see the blade's silver glinting in the light. The time to strike is now! She had Ay distracted and opened to attack, and his hand was too preoccupied to grab his weapon. But as the General stepped out into the light, his hand was nowhere near his short sword, and he swaggered far too casually towards them. 

"General Horemheb, right on time, I see." Ay said, turning to look over his shoulder.

"Of course, my lord." Horemheb replied with a smirk, standing right at the Pharaoh's side. 

            A chill began to creep its way through her veins, and goosebumps appeared along her skin. It felt as if both men had thrown icy water over her, and she was feeling the aftershocks. The feeling grew as Ay grinned wickedly and let go of her wrist. His eyes were now verging on black and looking more sinister than a few moments ago.  

"You betrayed me!" she yelled at the General.

"To be named as heir to the Pharaoh is far more beneficial to me than playing second best to a Hittite Prince."

Her temples began to pound, her legs wobbled slightly, and it wasn't easy to swallow. 

"I know everything, Ankhesenamun. Prince Zannanza is dead, and I will be declaring war with the Hittites for their treacherous actions."

            How could he know about the letter? No! She would not do that to me.

"Guards!"

The Medjai burst into the room, and amongst them, Ankhesenamun saw a lonely figure standing in the doorway, eyes filled with regret and staring straight at her.

"How could you, Oni?" she gasped, feeling as though her heart had broken in two.

"I had no choice, my Queen."

A sharp sensation began to spread through Ankhesenamun's stomach, and she collapsed, her legs feeling as if they had been mummified alive.

"My Queen!"

Her hands clutched her abdomen as she doubled over on her knees, the piercing sensation turning into a dozen arrows stabbing deep into her belly. She felt a further stabbing between her legs, forming slickness between them. Reaching down, Ankhesenamun lifted her skirt and saw the blood oozing out onto the floor.

Time seemed to slow, as the pain reminded Ankhesenamun of a horrible memory.

Blood covered the sheets and stained her thighs. A deep ache throbbed between her legs, and she was on the verge of passing out. But none of that mattered as she held her baby in her arms. She was so tiny, and her face was as beautiful as her Grandmother Nefertiti. Her delicate limbs lay softly in her blanket and her eyes closed as if she were sleeping. If only she were sleeping.

"Help her! Call a physician!" Oni's voice yelled in the distance.

I have lost everything.

A blanket of eternal night settled over Ankhesenamun as the world around her faded away.