Chapter 2

The Egyptian Army was camped by the River Nile just outside Thebes, ready to defend the capital if necessary and far enough out that the Pharaoh could deploy them elsewhere. Soldiers rushed back and forth, preparing their resources before their next deployment and poor camels sat tied to posts under the glare of the burning sun.

General Horemheb walked beside Ankhesenamun, escorting her to a quiet spot where they could talk in private. He stood proud as he walked, his strides strong and with purpose. His muscles budged against the confines of his armoured vest, and his right hand rested casually on the grip of his short sword. The General was not a man she should mess with. He was the commander of the Egyptian Army and rumoured to hold the real power over his soldiers, more than the Pharaoh.

They reached a quiet spot down by the river, where two chairs sat under a shaded canvas.

"I hope this will suffice, my Lady. It is where I come to get peace from the chaos of camp life." Horemheb said, gesturing to the seat on the left.

"This is fine, thank you, General."

Easing down into the chair, she made herself comfortable while Oni came forwards and wrapped a thin-linen shawl around her shoulders.

"I thought this would help stop you from getting burned by the sun, my Queen. Would you like me to go and fetch you some water?"

"Thank you, Oni, but do you know where the...." Ankhesenamun trailed off as her handmaiden rushed off into the crowds of the camp.

"That is odd. There was water right here." Horemheb said, indicating the water on the side table.

"She must not have seen it," Ankhesenamun said quickly, doubt tingeing her tone. 

"Possibly, but now to what do I owe the pleasure of your company today?"

"I need your help," she whispered.

"For what?"

"To assassinate the Pharaoh."

General Horemheb reacted immediately, standing up so quickly that he knocked his chair over. He grabbed her by the arm and pulled her upright, dragging her to the water's edge. His eyes shot in every direction, and his free hand gripped the handle of his weapon, his fingers bordering on white.

"General, please un—"

"It is treason to speak of the Pharaoh's death!"

"And it is treason to steal the throne from its rightful ruler!"

"You?"

"Yes."

"A female ruler? You are wasting my time, leave now, and I swear not to tell the Pharaoh of your transgression." Horemheb warned, letting her go and turning back for the camp.

"Wait!" Ankhesenamun cried, throwing her arm out to stop him from leaving.

I need to try a different approach.

            Edging closer to the General, she slowly slid one hand up his right arm, letting her fingertips trace over every line and definition of muscle. Her other hand pressed into his chest, drifting upwards until her fingertips brushed over the curve of his bottom lip.

Inching up on the tips of her toes, Ankhesenamun leaned forwards until her lips were tickling the edge of his ear.

"If you do this for me, I will marry you, and you will become the Pharaoh of Egypt." she whispered seductively.

            Ankhesenamun felt warmth seep through the back of her dress as Horemheb's hands gathered around her and pulled her tighter against him.

"How do I know if I can trust you?" he said, his eyes dark and questioning.

"You cannot but think about this. Would you rather follow commands from an older man? Or become Pharaoh and create a lasting dynasty?" she asked, tracing the confines of his armoured chest.

"How do I know if I would have a dynasty? When you could not produce a living heir with Tutankhamun."

"My brother was young and sickly, which did not help our chances of producing a healthy child." Ankhesenamun said, bile rising in her throat as she condemned her brother.

            I have no choice; I need the General's support.

"My Queen, sorry for my tardiness, I got lost trying to find the water and...."

Ankhesenamun quickly pulled out of the General's embrace, nearly stumbling into the river. A goblet of water lay spilled on the ground, and next to it stood her handmaiden. Oni's arms hung limp at her sides, her skin tinged with green and shock written on her face.

"Oni, it is not what yo—"

"I beg your pardon; I should not have interrupted." Oni said apologetically, bowing before she ran off.

"Perhaps we should finish this discussion in my quarters, my Lady?"

Horemheb stretched out his hand, looking open and inviting compared to a few moments ago. Looking back to where Oni had fled, Ankhesenamun felt torn in two directions.

Do I follow my heart? Or do I do what is best for my future?