Chapter Twenty-Three

-Siyambonga Ntabeni-

I was angry, because I was the fighter. Not Sim, so even if that Thuli didn't defend u Sim or explain what happened, I already knew that Kamva was in the wrong. Now, I could have responded to her ngoku asithukayo, but I figured the parents would be better at solving this than us. Than me. Because kwamna nje besendifuna sibuyele ekhaya, sishiye u Kamva notatakhe kulandlu intsha, or nabo ke babuyele endlini yabo, umama no bhuti babonane ngalendlela bebesenza ngayo all the years. It worked out better, for everyone. I spent about four hours in the field and didn't even bother calling someone from home to come and fetch me, I thought the anger would have subsided you know, but the more I thought about what Thuli said, the more I felt aggravated.

As I departed from my friends, I noticed mom's car.
I sighed and walked towards it, it was the last in the line of the waiting cars. She was sitting there alone, and there was a ninety percent chance that she had been crying. Like, there was a ninety percent possibility that she opted to come and fetch me because she wanted time to herself. Alile angabuzwa mibuzo ngabantwana bakhe. I opened the boot and tossed my bag in there, then I went to sit with her in the front passenger seat.

Me: Momz.
Mom: Hey. Akhomntu uzodinga ihike?
Me: Nope.

She started her car, and we drove in silence for a while.
I noticed that we were not going straight home, she was driving to McDonalds. When we got to the drive through she ordered two chicken wraps, drinks and McFlurrys then we took the longest route home. I didn't mind, I was eating.

Mom: What happened today?
Me: Where?
Mom: With your sister.

I told her everything Thulisile told me.

Mom: Are you guys happy? Like, this is a general question, are you happy?

I breathed, and put my almost finished wrap between my knees.
I had to think about the answer for that question... there was something going on, more than what had transpired between Sim and KG.

Me: I'm okay... I am not sure about being happy. I guess... I am still recovering from losing dad and granddad in the same year, now we are in a new house... like, a lot is going on mama. To be honest, I personally don't know if I am happy or not, I am just floating.

She nodded.

Me: Why do you ask that?
Mom: We had a word with them, Sim no Kamva. Kamva said she is not happy... and she stated her reasons ke. Sim just didn't communicate, at all. So I don't know how she feels, or what is going on with her. Hence I thought maybe I should ask you...
Me: I think it would be best if you talk to her, once she has calmed down. Not today.
Mom: Yeah...
Me: What are Kamva's reasons?

She shook her head and looked ahead.

Me: Maybe we should move back home, don't you think? uKamva looks like she still needs to get around the idea of sharing her dad with us, maybe blending the family wasn't such a good idea kwangoku.
Mom: She said a lot of things Siya, yho, uyathetha umntana ka Masixole ngomlomo wakhe andinabhongo. I think what shocked me the most is that she has been packing, like uyapakisha man and kengoku ezinye izinto besizithathe lightly thina asazihoya kanti yena uyazipakisha. Utatakhe ke uye wa suggest'a itherapy, after crying her heart out she said she would comply. So ndibashiye bethuthuzelana.
Me: Sim did say she thinks KG needs therapy, ingathi ngumntu lo uhlukumezekileyo so now she's searching for uthandwa.
Mom: But uyamthanda utatakhe, I love her too. Like, I don't get how she does not see that she is loved.

I kept quiet.
I knew she was not going to tell me everything that was said in that meeting but I could see she was hurting. I would have to beg Sim ukuze andixelele kwayena, unless she was in the mood to tell me ngokwakhe ke.
As we drove into our parking lot, I finished up my wrap and so did she. We literally just sat in the car, and finished our meals in silence. When I was done, I looked at her and smiled.

Me: I'm sorry you have to go through this... I know how much you love us, and how much you love ubhuti. I would never make you choose between us, I just hope this whole thing works out. For the sake of your heart.
Mom: I would never want to be in that situation too, but if it ever came to that I would choose you guys, no doubts about that. Masixole also knows that asoze ndikhethe yena over my own children. Worse ngoku seningenayo no tata, ndizothi yiyani phi? Hay soze!
Me: Let's just hope and pray it doesn't get to that.
Mom: I love you, and I am proud of the man you are becoming.
Me: Ah baby ka Mas'x!

She laughed, for the first time since we got into that car, she laughed.

Mom: Oh Siyambonga mntanam ngaske ungamfuzi ke ngamankazana uyihlo, otherwise ubhadlile. That much I give to you.

I laughed too and got out of her car, leaving her to gather herself.
I walked into the lounge and was greeted by Undi's warm hug around my legs, I bent down and picked him up as we walked to my room. He was going on and on about his day, I wasn't even listening, but it was really great to see someone who had no cares and burdens. He was such a free soul.

I put him on my bed and went to shower, did he not come knocking? I opened for him and he sat on the closed toilet seat and just continued to tell me about his day. Now I had to respond, because he was not seeing my face.

"Yabona Niya? Sawamba ke saye e Red C'oss Hospital thina sayobona abanye abantwana"

My "Mh"s and "ewe ndoda" were not working. I had to ask continuous questions like, "Nafika besitya ntoni? Wathini u Missi? Wena wathini" I even laughed at myself as I walked out of the shower. We walked back to my room, he sat on the bed and just watched me. I lotioned, and got dressed. Then I sat next to him...

Me: Uphi u Sim?
Undi: In her room, akafuni undivulela ma.
Me: Mh, should we go and knock?
Undi: Nope, uthe u Pumpkin I should leave her.
Me: Okay then, lets go and see what's for supper.
Undi: Okay wait... promise you won't tell mom what I told you.
Me: What? About the hospital?
Undi: No, that I have a girlfriend.

My eyes almost popped out, when did he tell me that?
Kanti oo Undi bayintoni kuma girlfriend in the first place? I know I didn't have one at that age. I cleared my throat... because he was waiting for me to make that promise.

Me: Uhm, okay. I promise.
Undi: See why I love you? I knew you wouldn't tell her, uMusa yena ebezondixela.

Then he slid off my bed and led the way.
I dragged my jaw and followed him, I still couldn't believe I missed those details.