Chapter Fifty

-Simbongile Princess Ntabeni-

We sat in silence for a couple more minutes, I didn't mind at all, because I was trying to identify the four spiritual beings I was "sensing" (lack of a better word) and what was frustrating me the most was that I couldn't look around. I didn't want more interrogation than what I was already in. What I could most certainly feel though was that whatever presence I was feeling was obviously not from my side of the family, but it was strong, and it was adamant in making me feel it. Feel their presence.

Bhuti: We could have died.
Me: We are not dead bhuti.
Bhuti: Okay...

He kept quiet for a couple of seconds.

Bhuti: Look, I understand that kusekho lento yakho no Kamva lingering over our heads, but when it comes to such things I expect you to not only respect your calling but to respect abantu bakokwenu and your guides. They showed you what was going to happen, for a reason, the least you should have done was to communicate that with me. Ndiyakucela Sim, next time, do not let izinto ezi personal affect ubizo lwakho.

I didn't respond.
I respected abantu basekhaya and my calling ndasuka kulendawo bendisuswa kuyo and I made sure akukhomntana ka tata that gets hurt. Enye nenye was not my problem. Umntu makaziyele apho kungathakathwa khona ayozikhusela, mna ndingafakwa ezingxakini zabantu.

He got up to leave...well... to return back to the ward.
I felt a strong presence grabbing my neck from behind and then I had something that was like a blackout. I couldn't even call on him for help, but somewhere in that blackout I had an out-of-body experience. One of the rare ones.
I was taken to a homestead in the Transkei, I didn't recognize any of the houses, or the surroundings so I knew that I wasn't at home. The same force that grabbed my neck earlier forcefully turned me around so I could see the damaged and ruined houses. There was an old lady in one, but as I walked closer to her, I heard a shriek and she disappeared. I turned around and saw what may have been the burial site, but it was in ruins too. Like, there was no life. Nothing good to see, to look at, to behold. Just as I was about to look for an exist of some sort, I saw a tall man, with the same body shape and face structure that ubhuti has and he was just standing in the middle of the four ruined house, with tears in his face.
"Molo tamkhulu" I greeted, but he didn't respond. Instead, he walked away, passed what I initially thought was the burial site and disappeared ezantsi kwi garden. From where he was standing I saw a young boy... as I tried to reach out to him, I felt a cold breeze behind me and I could smell the unmistakable and distinct vitamin BCo, I knew I was back at the hospital.

I looked around, and saw that ubhuti had either not really moved or he had returned.

Me: Uhm... bhuti?

He turned to look at me, but with a strange frown.

Me: I know this is none of my business, but it hasn't been three months since you were last involved in a car accident, don't you think someone or something is communicating with you?

The frown deepened, but then he chuckled and started walking off.
The arrogance got to me. I wasn't going to say more than that because I believed that was a hint enough for someone to be alert. But that chuckled, haibo!

Me: Well, if you are not careful, the third one might claim your life. Akutsho mna.

Now he stopped walking and looked at me, I got up...

Me: Uhm, I would suggest that when you have time, go and enquire. Before it's too late.

Then I walked right past him and found a seat next to Undi who was fast asleep. He was sedated, apparently, he sprained his elbow so they had to sedate him right after bemolulile because he was in pain. Bhuti walked in and asked how everyone was, no one was really injured, but everyone suddenly wanted to go home instead of going to school. I wanted to go to school. I was obviously the odd one out, yet again.

Me: Uhm, ndcela uyobekwa eskolweni mna bhuti.
Mom: Haibo, after this traumatic experience you just had?
Me: I am fine mama, andikho traumatized.
Mom: Simbongile Ntabeni.
Me: Please mama, I have a test to write today.
Mom: You could always write the test on Monday, I have called your teacher already.
Me: But I feel fine mama, umntu ongekho fine can go home, ndi right mna and I want to go to school.
Mom: Sadly, you don't always get what you want in life.
Me: What does that even mean?
Mom: It means you are not going to school Sim, everyone is going home, everyone including you!
Me: That's so unfair mama, haibo!
Mom: Inoba nguwe umama apha phakathi kwam nawe mntanam.

I huffed and went to sit back in the waiting area.
Siya joined me after about ten minutes, he sat down and just looked ahead, in silence.

Siya: She's just scared, the accident could have taken all our lives.
Me: Umama u selfish Siya.
Siya: Umama almost lost her life in a car accident not long ago, today she had to relive that trauma through us and you call that selfishness? If you were her, would you allow you daughter to just go about the day after almost losing her life?

I didn't answer him.

Siya: Le anger yakho is making you selfish and it's not cute to watch.
Me: Whose side are you on?
Siya: I am on my family's side, whichever side that is. You cannot expect umama to always have our backs even when we're acting like stupid spoilt brats.
Me: Oh, so ndim le stupid spoilt brat?
Siya: Stop for a second and think. Think, use your brain and think Simbongile. Awuziboni ba you are painting yourself as the bad person here? uKamva lo ukhala ngaye ubukhe wamva ephikisana nomntu namhlanje? Ubukhe wamva ekrwada to anyone?

I didn't answer him, yet again, because he was making sense.

Siya: Suba muncu ke, ewe express yourself and be angry all you want, but don't be stupid in the course. You're smarter than that.
Me: Sundishout'a kaloku.
Siya: Seems like that's the only way we can talk some sense into your thick skull mvanje.

I hit him playfully on the shoulder and he smiled.
Right that moment, everyone walked out of the room, Undi on bhut'Masixole's shoulder. Fast asleep.
We all Ubered home and I sat quietly right next to Siya, resting my head on his shoulder.