ᶜʰᵃᵖᵗᵉʳ ᵗʷᵒ

''NOELANI?''

She stirred, rolling over as she reached for her teddy, groaning when she couldn't find it and then again when her shoulders began to shake. Malia was hunched over her bed, whispering urgently as she looked over her shoulder periodically. ''Makuahine?''

''That's right seashell, c'mon, we need to get you up and dressed.''

''But it's still dark out,'' Noelani shook her head as she began to sit up, rubbing her eyes as she turned to her small window. ''And I can't hear the birds sing yet.''

Malia hummed, brushing her daughter's hair out of her face as she stroked her thumb across her cheek, watching her fully wake up. ''I know, but we're going on an adventure, okay? Do you remember daddy?''

''Makuakane?''

''That's the one!'' Malia says, reaching to gently tickle Noelani's sides, stopping before the laughter could get too loud. ''C'mon, do you want to wear a dress or jeans today? Ooh, what about a skirt?'' Noelani smiled, kicking of the thin blankets off of her as she ran to join her mother by the wardrobe ''We gotta be quick and quiet though, otherwise we might wake up Alana.''

''Is Alana not playing?'

''Not today, no.''

''Okay. I don't really like it when she plays - oh, I'm sorry, is that mean?''

Malia smiled, pulling a thick jumper over Noelani's head as the little girl struggled to buckle her dungarees. ''No, seashell, you're allowed to not like people as long as you don't purposefully upset them.''

''Why am I wearing a jumper?'' Noelani frowned, looking down at the long arms as her mother went to roll them up, pretending to eat her fingers when they came into sight again.

''We're going somewhere a little colder than Hawaii today, so we're going to wear the jumper just in case.'' Malia sighed, nodding to herself as she took in Noelani's appearance. ''You ready?''

Noelani smiled, jumping up and down as she let her arms flap around her uncontrollably. ''Adventure!''

Malia placed the pins back in all the rooms, it wouldn't take long for Alana to realise that they were missing, but it would at least by them some extra time. Plus, if Alana found out that Malia had broken into her stuff to use make-up on her bruises any sooner than she had to, she'd be acting a lot more faster and a lot more furiously.

It took them only fifteen minutes in total to leave the house, Malia tried to answer Noelani's questions with as many loopholes as she could, not wanting to tell the truth. It was still dark out, and Noelani offered to make another light, but Malia said no, explaining that it would make them more obvious, and monsters might get them.

''Monsters?'' Noelani asked, squeezing her mother's hand a little tighter. ''I don't think I like this game, Makuahine, it's scary.''

''I know, but it's okay, monster's find you by smelling, and you-'' Malia picked Noelani up upside down, holding her up by her legs as she sniffed her side. ''Took a bath yesterday! And you smell amazing!''

''Is that why you covered us in perfume too?'' Noelani said through her giggles as her mother turned her around, placing her back down again.

''You bet it is.''

''Wasn't all the perfume Alana's?''

''I asked if we could borrow it.''

''Oh... okay! Where are we going?''