12

The days that followed dragged by at a horribly sluggish pace. 

With no new leads to follow or any news of other attacks within the city, you and Dabi were stuck playing a waiting game. Unfortunately for you, patience wasn't exactly your strong suit whenever you had a goal you needed to accomplish.

Dabi had explained his plan to infiltrate the records office the night of the commission's party. It was decent enough, and he'd quelled your concerns by reminding you that he had plenty of experience when it came to thievery. This would be no different than any other time. He'd said that it may even be easier due to the extreme lack of security.

Of course, you were glad that the two of you had finally taken a step closer to finding the weapon, but you were worried that one step wouldn't be enough. At least three other enemy groups were searching for Izanagi as well, and they likely already had access to the files you were looking for.

There was a small chance, though, a very small chance, that they hadn't put the pieces together that would lead them to the woman who had given birth to the first child with a quirk. Those records could still be untouched, and you needed to get to them before anyone else could figure it out.

Dabi's plan had given you an idea of your own. If he was going to use the diversion of the hero commissions event to steal what he was looking for, why couldn't you do the same thing? You worked at the commission, so it wouldn't be odd for you to attend the party. If you could manage to slip away from the crowds and make your way to the room where their records were stored, it would be easy to find what you needed.

The only issue was that you hadn't actually received an invitation to the event. And you knew that they'd already been handed out. Nearly everyone on your floor had left it open on their desks.

It was likely because the higher up's were going to be in attendance. Hell, the party was being thrown in their honor. Of course, they would be there. That was another complication. Even if you managed to get an invite, you would need to take extra care not to cross paths with Zankoku. After your conversation with the president, you knew that she would have no qualms about firing you if he breathed even the smallest complaint about you coming near him whenever the two of you were ordered to keep away from each other.

Leaning back in your chair, your eyes glanced at the time on your computer screen. Only an hour left until you could go home. You tried to ignore the fact that the next time you would come into work would be whenever the higher-ups had arrived. Those thoughts would only put a damper on your already-sour mood.

"Um, excuse me." A somewhat familiar voice came from beside your desk. Looking up, you were surprised to see the young intern that you'd met on Monday.

You raised your eyebrows. "Yes?"

Her head was bowed, causing her curled blue hair to fall in front of her eyes. "I'm sorry that I didn't come to you sooner, but the president has been keeping me super busy. Like she always sends me back to the coffee shop at least three times because she doesn't like the drink she ordered, there's loads of paperwork for me to sort through, and with all the preparations that need to be made-"

"Woah," you held up a hand. "Slow down."

"Right, sorry." She took a breath. "I just wanted to apologize for the way I acted on Monday. You were right. I sounded super ignorant. I really didn't mean to offend you in any way. Honestly, I was just super impressed by you and was curious."

This was probably the first time that someone had ever apologized to you for something like that. You hardly even remembered the conversation you'd had with the girl. "Oh, It's alright. I should probably apologize too. You caught me in a bad mood and I lashed out."