Chapter 21 - Lightning Fast Reactions

Kyra knew that her best bet would be to use Korkorok. Since Elesa had already used Eelektrik against Nate, she doubted that Elesa would pull the same trick twice.

"You're up Krokorok, let's go," Kyra said, sending out her Krokorok as Elesa went to send out her pokémon.

"Time to give them both a shock they'll never forget. Come on out, Zebstrika," Elesa replied, sending out her Zebstrika.

Kyra, unsurprisingly, had never seen a Zebstrika before and she checked her pokédex. It didn't look as it was a pokémon that could have Levitate as its ability, but then again, stranger things had happened.

"Zebstrika, the Thunderbolt pokémon, and Electric Type. When Zebstrika move at their full speed, they are even faster than lightning itself. They tend to be ill-tempered and can pose a threat to those Zebstrika do not trust in the way they let off lightning sparks from their manes."

Kyra was relieved in the sense that Krokorok still had the Type advantage, although she had no doubts that Elesa had coverage against Ground Types specifically. Having an Emolga and Eelektrik which couldn't be hit with Ground Type attacks gave her the edge there, so Zebstrika was bound to be able to defend himself against his main weakness.

"Krokorok won't be affected by any of its Electric Type attacks, but who knows what else it could know. It wouldn't surprise me if Zebstrika knew something like Double Kick, those legs are certainly powerful," Kyra thought, wanting Elesa to make her call first so she knew how Zebstrika liked to attack.

Elesa took advantage of having not made a call yet and made one herself, Krokorok was clearly powerful and a pokémon Zebstrika wouldn't find easy to defeat. "Zebstrika, use Flame Charge!"

Flame Charge, a Fire Type attack. Any normal trainer would assume Elesa's call to mean Zebstrika didn't know any super effective attacks against Krokorok. But not Kyra. She knew Elesa's tactics. Using Flame Charge boosted Zebstrika's speed, allowing her more chance of landing a successful super effective attack later on in the battle.

"Krokorok, dodge it with Dig." Kyra said, setting Krokorok up to be able to deal with Zebstrika slightly easier.

Krokorok dove underground just before Zebstrika was able to land a hit, since he had evolved, the added speed gave him just enough of an edge.

"That's some speed your Krokorok has. It won't stay like that for long though. Zebstrika, keep using Flame Charge and rebound off the walls," Elesa replied, trying to use Zebstrika's speed to her advantage.

As long as Flame Charge hit something, the speed boost would trigger. Elesa was smart to have called for Zebstrika to rebound off the walls, but that only made her all the more vulnerable to Kyra's plan. Kyra had been questioning whether or not her plan would work or not up until now; now she knew it would work and she made her call.

"Just like we spoke about earlier Krokorok," Kyra said, she and Krokorok had the perfect counter for a fast moving opponent like Zebstrika.

Krokorok followed his trainer's call and he made holes all across the battle field with Dig; quickly ducking back underground before Zebstrika could land a hit with Flame Charge.

Eventually, one of Zebstrika's hooves got stuck in one of the holes thanks to moving around far too fast, the strategy Elesa hoped would help her had failed her.

Now was Kyra and Krokorok's chance to land a hit. Since Zebstrika was stuck where he was until he managed to free himself, he made for a very easy target.

"Krokorok, use Sand Tomb from underground," Kyra said, using the same strategy to what she did against Maylene's Machoke with her Gabite back in Sinnoh. It had worked well before, she just hoped it would work well again.