Two

Darcy

The morning seemed boring to me. Dally was probably about making trouble so of course I was home alone again. I lazily picked myself up out of bed towards my dresser just so I could find something to wear.

After putting all of my clothes on I decided to brush my teeth then put some makeup on. I stared at myself in the mirror hoping I'd look somewhat good before leaving.

I decided to walk to the Greasers lot since there's usually someone there I could talk to. It wasn't that far of a walk honestly. Maybe a mile or so, but I always got there quick enough.

To my surprise, there was Johnny sitting outside smoking a cigarette. I couldn't see anyone else. So it was just Johnny and I alone.

"Hey Johnny," I smiled.
"Hey Darcy, what're you doing here?" He asks, taking his last breath of the cigarette before burning it out.
"Nothin'. I just got bored so I decided to see if anyone was down here," I answered. "Now we can finally talk though without Dally taking you away"
"So you love talkin' to me huh?" He chuckles. I could feel myself blushing. No Darcy, not now. You can't like Johnny. Your brother would kill you.
"It's nice talking to someone my age in this gang. You and Ponyboy honestly" I said.
"Why thank you Darcy" He smiled.
"Welcome" I said back.

We sat there for a few minutes in silence until I finally said something.

"I know we just went yesterday but would you like to go to the diner again? I could kill for their vanilla shakes right now" My mouth was watering at the thought of the shakes.
"Ya know, that sounds like a good idea" He says.

And with that, we head our way to the diner. We sat in the usual spot then ordered.

"How could you get their vanilla shakes?" He asked. "Strawberry is better"
"That's where you crossed the like buddy" He laughed at my comment and I linked my arms together.
"Oh cmon you know I'm right" He says still laughing.
"Nope, strawberry tastes like ass" I said. He stopped laughing and looked at me with a straight face.

I winked at him as our shakes was coming to our table. My face was in awe at the milkshake that my fat ass started drinking instantly.

"So, Darcy Winston, why do you want to speak to me all of a sudden? Like alone you know" Johnny asks.
"You know Johnny that's a good question. You're a good friend and Dally always tries taking you away when I try speaking to you. But it's nice having someone around your age who understands you somewhat" I answered and he nodded.
"So you must have a liking to me?" He teases.
"Oh now don't got there" I chuckled as he started laughing.

I stare into his eyes as he was still laughing. Something about all of his flaws, the scar he received a few months ago, and his smile. Maybe I am falling for him, but I can't.

After we payed we decided to leave and go back to the lot. Ponyboy, Sodapop. Dally, Steve, Darry, and Two-Bit were smoking some cigarettes.

"There you two punks are, we were worried" Dally says while grabbing Johnny by the neck.
"We just went to the diner and talked" Johnny spoke while struggling.
"Without me? Damn I'm hurt" Two-bit joked while putting his hand over his heart.

I rolled my eyes at them and walked over to Ponyboy, who seemed a bit lonely.

"How ya doin' Pony?" I asked.
"Eh Darcy I'm alright, you?" He answered.
"Could be better," I said. "Hey when's the party?"
"Tomorrow"
"Thanks Pony"
"Welcome Darcy"

I grabbed a cigarette from the pack and lit it with Ponyboy's lighter. I learned how to smoke from one of my friends Katie before she moved to California.

That's when Dally walked by me and grabbed the cigarette from my hand.

"Seriously Darcy?" He seemed angry at me. And I knew he was. "Smoking at sixteen?"
"Johnny does it" I said.
"Johnny isn't my younger sibling. I promised our parents to always take care of you! When you were just a baby!"
"Dally lay off! It's okay" Johnny says and pulls him back.
"If I ever catch you smokin' again I will kill you!" He laughed.

I rolled my eyes at him and walked into Ponyboy, Sodapop, and Darry's house. I sat on their couch and I cried.

I hated when Dally would yell at me. I also hated when he would yell at me in front of everyone. It was so humiliating.

"Hey Darcy I'm sorry about him I know he can be a douche" One of the boys said. I wiped some of my tears and saw Johnny with Darry standing beside him.
"Johnny's right" Darry said.
"Maybe you both are right. I just wish he wasn't so humiliating and overprotective!" I cried.

I walked up to Johnny and cried in his chest. He held me and for the first time I actually felt a spark. But I couldn't like him because of course my stupid fuck of a brother would ruin us.

Johnny always knew ways to make you smile even if your day was going horribly wrong. That was something about him all of us liked.

Darry, of course, hugged me too. He never liked seeing me cry either. He always said I was like a little sister to him, and I appreciate that with all of my heart. Sodapop, Ponyboy, Darry, Johnny, Two-bit, and Steve helped me out more than my own brother could. That's why they're my favorite people, and all the girls at my school wonder why I'm like a tomboy.

After I stopped crying I started watching Mickey Mouse on TV with Two-Bit. I always called him a baby for watching Mikey Mouse. I guess because he's eighteen and still watches a show that came out for littler kids.

Sodapop, Steve, and Darry had work so they were already gone, Dally was never to be found after he yelled at me, so I wasn't the only one with Two-Bit.

Johnny was sitting with me on the couch as Ponyboy took up space in the chair, Two-Bit sat on the floor as usual.

I felt a hand go over mine and I saw Johnny had his hand on mine. I was blushing like never before.

"I need to tell you something, alone" He whispered into my ear.

I nodded and we walked outside, making sure to tell Pony and Two-Bit where we were going.

"You know after all these years of being friends I never thought I would say this but Darcy I like you. More than a friend, but your brother. He's my best friend and like you he's helped me at my lowest. But I want you. Not in a sexual way but I understand if you don't have these feelings for me either"

And with that I kissed him, long and good. But it remained a secret that night. And the boys believed us when we said we just wanted to walk and talk.

When I got home Dally was passed out already on the couch, an empty beer bottle lay beside him.

I kissed his head and grabbed a blanket before walking to my bedroom and closing my door. Drifting off into a deep sleep right as I got into bed.