The break up

"I kept pushing him, asking why the hell he had a mark on his chest, and he finally admitted it...he's been cheating on me with a girl from work..." I say, holding back the sobs that are fighting their way out of my body
My friend, Karo, rubs my back as I talk. As soon as I found out, I called her and asked her to pick me up. She didn't even question my reasoning, she just picked me up immediately. She's always been good like that.
I've been living with my now ex for about 2 1/2 years now and have come to her when I needed help. When him and I had bad fights, she was always the first person by my side to help out.
"And now...now I'm...fuck. I'm homeless. I have no way to get to my job. No way to do anything. My parents are gone...fuck" I say, realizing how royally screwed up my life has become
"Hey, don't you remember what I said the first time you guys had a bad fight? You're always welcome to stay here in the extra room I've got. I'll just move all of the junk out to the shed and we'll figure it out from there." She says, handing me some tissues
I nod, wiping away my tears
Looking down at my phone, I see that he's called me and texted me countless times. Before I left, I said we were through. He freaked out, saying it was a mistake and I should forgive him. That he doesn't love her and he only loves me. There was no meaning behind his words though. Just lousy excuses.
She moves my phone to the other side of her where I can't see it before opening her own phone and typing something
"I just texted the rest of the group, I'm gonna see who can come over and stay with you while I go to work. I can't miss another day this month or I'll lose my job...aaaand it looks like everyone's coming over because they're worried about how vague my message was. Do you want me to tell them or would you rather explain when they get here?" She asks, rubbing my back a bit more before standing up to go get ready
"I'll let them know, thank you Karo, for everything."
She smiles at me before going to get ready for work. I sit on the couch, looking up at the ceiling, before turning onto my side and facing the couch to cry without her seeing
I had been with him for almost 5 years. I thought he was the one. Even after all of the other problems we had, I thought it was gonna be him I'd be spending the rest of my life with.
Apparently I didn't realize how long I had been laying on my side for, because next thing I know, a hand is on my arm and someone's saying my name
"Misheru? You okay? Karos message kinda scared me."
I turn to see Keigo with a concerned look on his face before sitting myself up
"We uh...we broke up. He cheated on me."
I saw the look of worry turn to one of anger
"He what? Are you fucking kidding me? I'm so sorry Misheru..." he says, sitting next to me and placing a hand on my back. After a few moments of silence, he pulls me into an unexpected hug. He's not normally a hugger, so I gladly accepted the hug. Plus, I really needed it right now.
Not long after, I hear a few other cars pull up outside as Karo leaves for work
It takes a few minutes before they come upstairs, and based on the looks on their faces when they got up there, plus the way they greeted me, I can only assume she let them know what happened before they came up. Hell, it was probably better she did.
The first one through the door is Touya, followed by Ren.
Touya squats down in front of me, taking my hands in his and gently rubbing his thumb over my fingers. Ren sits on the other side of me, also placing his hand on my back
See, the thing is, they were all his friends before they were mine. They knew him for years before they knew me. In the years I've been around, I've grown very close to all of them and I'm scared of how this whole break up is going to complicate the friend group. I'm glad they they all came to support me though.
They all do what they can to help me out, starting with them letting me rant about things I hadn't mentioned to any of them before and them realizing how bad the relationship truly was at times.
They then asked me what I had eaten that day, and when I said nothing, we took a road trip to pick up fast food. They did what they could to make it as much of a fun and chaotic experience as they could, and I was slowly realizing that I was much better off without the guy I had been with. With him, he would have judged me for joining in on the chaos. He would have said things under his breath to make fun of me in ways that struck my insecurities and then say I don't know how to take a joke, even though it was only something he was quietly saying to me. Without him, I'm truly able to be me.
Once we got food, we decided to head back to Touyas house to hang out. We all sat down, eating our food and deciding what to watch. I was sat between Touya and Keigo when we heard a phone go off and I realized mine was still back at Karos house.
Touya takes out his phone to see he's getting a call from my now ex. Great. He holds a finger to his mouth to all of us, pausing the movie someone had put on
He answers and puts it on speaker
"Hey, what's up?"
"Do you know where Misheru is? She's not answering her phone and I'm worried"
"Nah I have no idea. She's not home with you?"
"We uh...we're having a fight right now. Look, if she does message you or you find out where she is, please let me know. I just wanna fix things."
"Well, what is it that you wanna fix? What happened?"
"She thinks I'm cheating on her. I had a bruise on my chest because of work, I dropped a box off of a high shelf and she thinks it's a hickey."
"She's not an idiot dude. Hickeys and normal bruises look really different. Come on, just tell me, did something actually happen? I won't say anything."
After a few moments of silence, he finally speaks up again
"Listen...I love her. I made a mistake. This girl at work she just...she kept flirting with me. At first, I was ignoring it, but then we added each other on Snapchat and started talking more and she seemed really cool. We ended up getting out on closing shift a lot together and eventually...things started happening. None of it really ever meant anything though. It was just some stupid crush and then we acted on it a few times. But it's not like I was planning on leaving Misheru for this girl..."
Touyas teeth were grinding as my ex explained himself, all of the muscles tightening in his body
With tears in my eyes, I place a hand on his and offer a weak smile
"So how would you feel if she did the same to you, huh?"
"What do you mean?"
"How would you feel if she cheated on you? How would you feel if I had 'harmlessly' flirted with her and ended up hooking up with her?"
"I'd be fucking pissed at you. You're supposed to be my friend. And I'd be pissed at her for going behind my back like that."
"So do you see why she won't be going back to your house?"
"Excuse me?"
"I said she won't be going back to your house, asshole. And don't you dare go looking for her. You know who my dad is. Try anything and you'll be seeing the bad side of the pro heroes."
And with that, he hangs up and pulls me into a hug
I finally let out the sobs that I had been holding back and we stay that way for a few minutes
I thank him for doing what he did and say that it's alright to unpause the movie
He lightly taps on my back and whispers to me
"Do you wanna stay like this or were you more comfortable the way you were before?"
I realize that he's laid back a bit with some pillows behind him and I'm half laying on my stomach, my head on his chest and facing the tv
"Would it be alright if I stayed like this?"
He nods and smiles, readjusting his leg , letting me come a bit closer
I look up at the clock on the wall and realize it's already 10:37
Karo gets home around midnight, so if we all head home by the time the movies over, I'll only be alone for like 45ish minutes
As I sit there, doing the math in my head, I feel my eyes growing heavier and heavier
Todays been exhausting...maybe letting myself close my eyes for just a little bit wouldn't be a bad idea...