The next morning, Meredith woke up to an empty room. She was officially two day post op, and everything hurt like hell.

She definitely wasn't expecting Derek's parents to come. When she met Carolyn, she liked her. It seemed like Carolyn liked her. But she had never met his father. But he seemed like a clone of Derek. Or rather, Derek was a clone of him.

Meredith hated being stuck her bed. She couldn't really move, though, without feeling like her chest was going to explode. But she had a catheter in, and she had never felt so dependent in her life.

And even though Meredith slept for over half the day, she was always still exhausted when she woke up. Maybe it was because she woke up from nightmares all the time, maybe it was just because she was simply recovering, but it was exhausting.

"Hey, kiddo." Mike Shepherd said as he stepped into the room. "Hi Mr Shepherd." Meredith replied, her voice hoarse.

"Mike. You're married to my son." He replied as he poured her a cup of water and held it up to her mouth. Meredith slowly sipped the water and sighed in relief.

"Thank you." Meredith said softly. "You're welcome. I know how this goes, kiddo." Mike said. "Derek told me." She nodded.

"Derek?" Meredith asked, her eyes already struggling to stay open. "He's with Carolyn getting some breakfast. Sent me to keep an eye on you. Doesnt want you getting into any trouble." Mike answered with a smile.

Meredith laughed, but quickly winced, making a strangled groan. "It's okay, kiddo. It's okay." Mike said soothingly as he started to rub her back.

The laugh turned into coughing and Meredith's chest burned. Tears welled up in her eyes and she fought the urge to cry in front of Derek's dad.

Meredith inhaled fast, sharp breaths. The older man grabbed the oxygen mask and pulled it over her face. "Just breathe. Just breathe." He whispered, putting an arm over her shoulder.

Meredith leaned on Mikes shoulder, and it kind of helped calm her down. Now, she understood where Derek's comforting touch came from.

When Derek and Carolyn walked back to Meredith's room, the last thing he expected to see was his dad, his wife's head resting on her shoulder, eyes shut.

Derek smiled at the sight in front of him. "You got yourself a good one, pal." Mike said quietly as not to wake his resting daughter in law.

"I know." He replied softly.

•••

A few hours later, Meredith was woken up to the sound of doctors talking with Derek. Mike and Carolyn where nowhere to be seen, but Derek, Dr Schaffer, and instead of Dr Walker, Teddy was there. She figured Derek asked For Teddy specifically.

"Hey, sleepy head." Derek grinned, grabbing her hand and kissing her forehead. "Hi." She replied with a slight wince.

"How are you feeling, Dr Grey?" Dr Schaffer asked. "Everything....hurts and I'm tired all the time." Meredith said truthfully.

"That's completely normal. We're gonna have to clear your lungs again, think you can do that for me, Grey?" Teddy asked.

"Hmm." Meredith hummed. "You have to clear your lungs, Mer." Derek whispered. Meredith looked at him, and his heart broke at her desperate expression.

"You have to." He whispered, stroking her face gently. Meredith sighed as Teddy and Derek helped her sit up gently. "This may help." Teddy said, pressing a pillow into her chest as she let out a cough.

"That was great, Meredith. One more." Teddy praised. "No." Meredith whispered. "It hurts." She added quietly.

"I can see about upping your pain meds once you cough one more time." Teddy said gently. Meredith let out one more cough, and she and Derek helped her lay back down against the pillows.

Teddy and Dr Schaffer discussed for a moment before deciding to give Meredith a little bit of morphine.

"Um, she's gonna be very unfiltered when the morphine kicks in. Just prepare yourself for that cause she's gonna say something inappropriate." Derek said as his wife fell back asleep.

"Like when Kathleen had her appendix out?" Carolyn asked with a amusing grin. "Yeah." Derek chuckled.

"Hey. Uh, sorry. I got here as soon as I could. I was with Alex." Cristina said, walking into the room. "With Alex?" Derek asked in a concerned voice.

"He was shot, too." Cristina explained quietly. "Oh, crap." Derek breathed, knowing how bad u would take this.

"Who's Alex?" Carolyn asked curiously. "One of Mers friend. Pretty much her brother." Derek replied. "And you are?" She asked, turning to Cristina.

"Cristina." The doctor said. "Oh. Well, I'm Derek's mother, Carolyn, and this my husband, Mike." Carolyn said, holding out her hand.

Cristina shook her hand quickly and turned back to Derek. "How's she doing?" Cristina asked. "Okay. Still sleeping a lot but that's to be expected." Derek replied.

"Good." Cristina breathed. "How's Alex?" He asked. "It was touch and go for a while, but he should be okay." She explained.

"Good, good." Derek said in response.

••••

Later on, Carolyn, Derek, and Mike all went to grab a quick dinner together. Cristina stayed with Meredith, per Derek's request.

"So...when can I be expecting more grandbabies?" Carolyn asked as they ate in the cafeteria. "Mom, we got married a little over a year ago. And she just got shot so probably a little while." Derek said.

"Well, you're not getting any younger." His mother Said with a smirk. "Are you calling me old?" Derek asked. "No. But it's the truth. How is old is Meredith?" Carolyn asked curiously.

"35. And before you say anything about the age gap, you and dad are 11 years apart." Derek said quickly. "Oh, we don't care about that." Mike replied.

"Okay, good." Derek said.

"But I will get a few Shepherd grand babies from my one and only son, right?" Carolyn asked.

Derek chuckled. "Yes, at some point Mer and I will have a baby." He said with a smile.

Hey guys!! I hope you all enjoyed this chapter and hope your all doing well. If you have any ideas for future chapters feel free to let me know. Thanks for reading!!

And before you guys say anything, those age gaps I made up. I don't actually know their real ages.