Thatcher was a troubled man. He saw about the shooting from the news, and immediately called Lexie. Lexie told him that she was fine, but Meredith was shot.

His daughter was shot.

And it sounds terrible, but he was questioning if he should go see her or not.

His and Meredith's relationship was barely existent, but at the same time, his daughter was injured, and thatcher still cared about her. Right now, he was pacing back and forth outside her room.

Before Thatcher could even step foot in Meredith's room, Derek stopped him.

"You say anything to upset her and you're leaving." He warned quietly. Thatcher swallowed deeply and nodded before stepping into the room.

"Hi, Meredith." Thatcher said after a moment. "Hi." Meredith replied, squeezing Lexies hand, who was in there for moral support.

"Hi." Meredith replied. An awkward silence passed before thatcher spoke again. "How are you.....Um.....how are you feeling?"

"Fine." She said in response. Meredith looked at Derek, giving him a look that asked "why is he here". Derek looked at her sympathetically.

"I just, um, I heard about what happened and I....I wanted to make sure you both, um, you both were okay." Thatcher said, looking to his two daughters.

Meredith wanted to laugh at that, but she refrained. "Um....if there's anything I can do for you, Meredith, uh....just let me know. I'm gonna.....go to my, uh, hotel." Thatcher said awkwardly.

"Bye." Meredith waved as he left the room. "Why is he here?" She asked once he was out of sight. "He just wanted to make sure I-we were okay." Lexie replied.

"You were okay. He doesn't care about me." The older Grey corrected her. "He does, Mer. He's just.....awkward." Lexie said.

"Whatever. What hotel is he staying out and for how long?" Meredith asked. "Um, he's not actually staying at a hotel. He's staying at the house." Lexie winced.

"He's staying at my house?" Meredith asked. "I didn't want to send him to a hotel when he came here!" She answered in defense. Meredith groaned as Teddy and Bailey walked into the room.

"Ready to stand up, Grey?" Bailey asked. "You people don't leave me alone." She grumbled under her breath as she sat up some more.

"Um, I'll be back later. Good luck." Lexie said, quickly exiting the room. "Everything okay?" Teddy asked, noticing the tension in the room.

"Fine." Meredith replied, slowly swinging her legs over the bed with a wince. "Easy there, Meredith. Go slow." Teddy warned.

"I'll support your right side and Teddy will support your left." Bailey instructed as she slowly slid off the bed.

Derek watched from in front of her and his heart broke at her obviously pained expression. Meredith was eventually standing by herself, but it was clear that it took a lot out of her.

"Want to try a few steps today?" Teddy asked, not noticing Meredith's shaky legs. "don't think I can." Meredith admitted, wheezing slightly. No one ever said how hard it was to breath after being shot.

"Let's get you back in bed." Derek said, the protective husband in him coming out. Bailey shot him a glance but they proceeded to help Meredith back into a sitting position.

"Give her some oxygen." Teddy directed to bailey quietly. Bailey did so and pulled the mask over Meredith's head.

"You did good." Derek said softly, kissing the top of her head before turning to the two doctors. "It's normal for her to be this....out of breath, right?" He asked, his voice low. The doctor in him knew it was completely normal, but right now he wasn't a doctor. He was a worried husband.

"Completely normal." Teddy confirmed, easing his worries slightly. "I'm fine." Meredith said, exhaustion evident in her tone and she melted into the pillows.

"We know, Grey. Nice job. Well be back later." Bailey replied, giving her a friendly Pat on the shoulder before turning and leaving the room with Teddy.

"Who knew standing could be so.....tiring?" Meredith asked, still catching her breath. "I know." Derek chuckled. "Lay with me." Meredith said.

"Are you sure?"

She nodded and scooted over slowly and carefully to the other side of the bed. Derek climbed in very gently, careful not to hurt her. "You're so tense." She commented.

"I'm fine." Derek replied, though he knew Meredith saw right through it. She knew how worried he was, how worried he still is.

"Lay down." Meredith said, trying to sound as stern as possible. Derek didn't argue, and rested his head on her chest. Usually it was the other way around, but Derek needed comfort, and this was the way she knew always helped him.

Meredith buried one of her hands into his thick dark curls and massaged his head gently. Her other hand held his hand and he sighed in contentment.

"Relax, Derek. Everything's okay." Meredith whispered as she felt his body relax gradually.

"Are you....are you okay?" Derek asked, yawning slightly. He hadn't even realized how tired he was. It sometimes surprised him how well Meredith could read him.

"I'm okay, Derek. Take a nap. I will too." Meredith said. "Love you." He breathed in response, his eyes fluttering shut. The soothing way Meredith ran her fingers through his hair was so relaxing, and he fell asleep shortly after. too.

Patients aren't the only ones who suffer. Loved ones do too, and Derek was thankful that Meredith could read him so easily so that she could take care of him in the only way she could right now.

Hey guys!! I hope you all enjoyed this chapter and hope your all doing well. As always, if you have any ideas for future chapters, feel free to let me know. Thanks for reading!