8 Dark Sides To Disney Stories

More like an extra chapter in my colllection :)

Disney has it's own surprising dark tales behind their happily-ever-after stories...

P.S. Some might ruin your childhood...

-R.B.01

_____________________________

8 Dark Sides To Disney Stories

1. Disney's "The Jungle Book"

Originaly, Mowgli, an orphan boy raised by wolves, has many adventures in the jungle until he finally drives away a dangerous tiger named Shere Khan by attaching flaming branches to his tail. He then joins a nearby human village after finding a girl his age there.

Compared to Rudyard Kipling's "The Jungle Book"

Much of the basis story is the same, but Mowgli continues on to kill Shere Khan. The other villagers imprison and torture Mowgli’s adopted human family for they do not trust Mowgli. Mowgli saves them and conducts revenge on the villagers by convincing the elephants to destroy the village. Everyone flees for their lives.

2. Disney's "Sleeping Beauty"

Aurora is pricked from a spindle on her 16th birthday, putting her under a sleeping spell placed on her my the evil witch Maleficent. Prince Phillip is aided by Aurora’s guardian fairies to defeat the Maleficent. He then kisses Princess Aurora and breaks the spell. They get married and live happily ever after.

 Compared to Charles Perrault's "The Sleeping Beauty"

The spell placed upon her will last for 100 years before a prince may wake her with a kiss. When a prince finally does wake her, he marries her and has two children with her. His mother is part ogre, and demands a cook to prepare the Princess and her children to be served as a meal for her. The cook serves her animal meat instead. She learns about the trick and as revenge creates a pit filled with deadly creatures for them. When the Prince catches her, in a panic she leaps into the pit to be killed.

Compared to Giambattista Basile's "Sun, Moon, and Talia"

Perrault's version is based on this early version of Sleeping Beauty. In it, the princess is Talia. She falls into a sleep from a piece of flax stuck under her fingernail. When the prince comes, he had sex with her while she is unconscious. While he is away she wakes to find she has become a mother after one of her twins sucked on her finger and removed the flax. The prince comes and explains to her what happened. Then it is the prince's jealous wife who orders the cook to serve Talia and her children for a meal.

3. Disney's "Tarzan"

Tarzan is adopted by gorillas as a baby after his parents are killed by a leopard, who he later kills in adulthood. He meets other humans for the first time and falls in love with Jane. The guide, Clayton, plans on trapping and killing the gorillas for profit. Tarzan and Jane manage to save all the gorillas except for Tarzan’s adopted father Kerchak, and Clayton is killed. Jane decides to stay in Africa with Tarzan.

Compared to Edgar Rice Burroughs "Tarzan of the Apes"

 Tarzan is adopted by gorillas after his mother dies of childbirth and his father from Kerchak. His gorilla mother Kala is later killed by hunters. Threatened by Tarzan in his adulthood, Kerchak attacks Tarzan and Kerchak is killed. Tarzan meets humans for the first time, falling in love with Jane. Clayton is actually his cousin of high rank. Clayton proposes to Jane, who reluctantly accepts, but later regrets for she realizes she loves Tarzan more. Tarzan later learns of his high rank, inheritance, and ability to call off Jane’s engagement, but declines it all thinking Jane is happy with Clayton.