11 - "All my trials Lord, soon be over"

The cold slowly began to wane as the days passed but no one really noticed. They were too busy catching up on assignments and cramming for finals, those involved in volunteer committees spending time sorting out their responsibilities and the rest just trying to stay afloat.

"You know, it's only our first year. Am I supposed to be pulling all-nighters like this? Is this normal?"

Jessica smirked at Haley as she stood up, closing her books as she did. "If you spent less time complaining and more time studying, you would be asleep before midnight."

Lynn scoffed from across the room. "You have some superpower that I don't know about because I have never seen you sleep later than twelve. What is it? What's the secret?"

Vania and Amy came walking in with a tray laden with bowls of noodles and a plate piled high with grilled cheese sandwiches. "There's no secret. She has the ability to study in advance, we don't, she sleeps early, we don't."

"That's a superpower, alright," Haley groused, leaping up in delight on seeing the food.

"Stop talking about me like I'm not here," Jessica said, snagging a sandwich as she exited the room. "And I just don't like sleeping late. It's not good for my skin," she called out, heading up the stairs so her voice echoed down.

"How is she so perfect? It's not fair," Lynn whined, smacking her head against her books before joining the food circle everyone had made.

Ava finally closed her own books and joined them too, making grabby hands at Tina who had walked in with their coffees and hot chocolates. Their break went from an intended fifteen minutes to an unintended two hours which saw everyone up at three, still studying.

"Okay, that's it. I'm going to bed. Nothing these books have can teach me more than what I already know. If I pass, I pass. There's nothing for it," Ava declared, slamming her textbook shut and praying her studying had been enough.

A few of the girls stood up to join her, mumbling out good nights and already dreaming about their beds. She could not wait for finals to be over.

* * *

Ava folded her last shirt and zipped up her bag, almost sitting on it so everything would fit. She didn't know why she was taking everything home, especially when the girls had all decided to continue renting the house again for their sophomore year. They'd all had so much fun that it didn't make sense to fork out more rent for single rooms when they had got along so well.

"I am the worst person at keeping in contact but we should FaceTime. I'm better at those."

Ava gave Haley a look and she laughed. "Right, sorry. Android and all that jazz. So video call or whatever. What are you planning to do this holiday? Travel again?"

Ava flopped onto her bed, only intending to take out her bedding right before her father came to fetch her. She might take a nap before then. "I don't know. I think so? The blog followers were asking for a little something for the summer and I could use the cash for next year. But I've been away from home for so long that I really think I just want to be with them."

Rada walked in and flopped down next to Ava. "Please tell me I don't have to go home. I'd rather stay here and listen to you gluptsy complaining about school than sit through another one of my brother's lectures about abandoning the family."

Haley turned indignant eyes towards Ava. "She's calling us mean names in Russian again, Ava. Make her stop."

Rada buried her head in Ava's lap. "No. Just keep me here. I don't want to go anywhere."