Chapter 3

"Alyssa! Why is your door locked?!" Tony keeps banging on my door and wiggling the door knob.

I quickly glance at Natasha and both of us have scared looks on our faces. She tried to whisper something to me but I don't listen. Both of us jump out of my bed as quickly as possible and I pull my pants back over my legs. Nothing happened before you make any assumptions. I just got hot last night, that's all.

"Alyssa, you know how I feel about locked doors." Tony won't give up, will he?

I lean in and whisper in Nat's ear; "Get under the bed." She nods and I kiss her before she does what I say. Once I know it's safe, I walk towards my door. I unlock it and open it to see Tony.

"Why was your door locked?"

I swallow hard, searching for the right words. "I uh, wanted to be left alone, everyone kept coming in yesterday."

He crosses his arms. "Don't lie to me, kid."

"I'm not lying." My voice gets high pitched like it does when I lie.

"Uh, huh." He squinted his eyes. "Have you seen Romanoff? I can't find her anywhere."

I stutter, "N-no. I-I haven't."

"I can tell when you're lying." He pushes his way into my room.

"Tony! This is my room."

He walks around looking for Nat. "It may be your room, but who bought the compound?"

I sigh, "Tony, look, I know that you care about me, but that doesn't mean you can invade my privacy. I'm 18 years old. I've already got Wanda to look after me."

"I'm sorry, kid." He walks back towards the door. "Your sister is wanting you to come downstairs, though. She's made her decision about the surgery."

"Okay." After he leaves, I shut the door. I stand up against it and let out a long, relieved breath. "You can come out now."

I look down and Nat emerges from under my bed. "That was close."

"Yeah, it was."

She pushes herself against me as she touches my lips with hers. I pull away and wince.

"Sorry." She smiles with a concerned look. "We should get back downstairs, hopefully Wanda made the right decision."

"Yeah. Wait five minutes then follow me out." I smile.

"Okay." She smiles back. She kisses me one more time before I leave my room.

Luckily, no one was on the other side of my door. I make my way downstairs and into the meeting room. Seems Thor got back from Asgard. He told us why he'd left but I can't seem to remember.

"Aah, it's the young kid." Thor smiles as I enter the room. "Stark told me what happened. How are you feeling?"

"I'm okay," I say, grabbing my arm.

"There's food in the kitchen if you want some."

"Thanks, Steve." I say.

"Have you seen Nat?"

I swallow again. "No." Short, one worded answer. Hopefully that's not too suspicious.

"Okay," Steve says.

Phew.

"Lis, come here." My sister is calling me towards the kitchen. I walk her way. "So, the doctor wants to do the surgery today."

"So, you made up your mind then?"

"Yes. She said she wants you in there as soon as possible."

"Okay, well, I'm going to eat first."