Chapter One

☩══♛══☩

                                 ☩══♛══☩

     Excitement was basically dripping from the wide smile placed on her lips, it had taken 10 minutes and two face plants but she found it. 'Nation of Society' by Yasmeen Oakley, her favorite novel. The school library had just been refilled with new books, so she cleared her normal schedule of meeting Gwen at her locker to ensure that no one else got to it before she did. Her black doc martens were firmly set on the carpeted floor, a long white knitted sweater dress and black stockings adorned her figure, and her brown bag was two seconds away from falling off her shoulder, but her gaze was fixed on the book in her little hands.

"Ms. Alexander, if you want to borrow that book, please come to the front, but if not, please set it down and go to class." She jumped a couple of inches in the air out of fear and whirled around to find Ms.Kline, the librarian, gazing at her with nothing but displeasure in her eyes. "Uh, sure, I'm sorry." She quickly adjusted her bag, walked up to the front, signed the book out, and left without looking back.

"423 pages of glory finally in my hands..." she whispered to herself as she walked down the halls, putting the book into her bag. Couples kissing on lockers, a group of popular pretty girls huddled together, and Flash Thompson, as usual, being a menace to society with his dwarfs. "Two more years Nicole...Two more years" she grumbled to herself with an exasperated sigh.

"Hey Nicci, thanks to your tutoring lessons yesterday, I passed my test!" exclaimed a girl with dark brown hair beyond her shoulders, an olive complexion, and a stunning pink blouse matched with trousers on her petite body. "See, I told you it was possible!" She replied with a little grin, and that's when she spotted him; he was at least 5 inches taller and slimmer than her; she couldn't remember his name, but she knew it finished with Parker, Pablo Parker? or was it, Preston Parker?

     The three seconds of eye contact felt like a lifetime for both of them until she turned the corner and stepped out into the courtyard, where she saw Gwen seated on a table reading a book. "I love Cat's Cradle!" she said loudly enough for her to hear, making the blonde look up with a smile as she put her bag down and took a seat.

     "I'm already halfway through it," Gwen said as they began to make small talk. "Do you have time today to come over? Tonight, my mother is cooking her famous homemade lasagna." Gwen wondered aloud while marking her spot in her book. "Ugh, I adore your mom's lasagna, but I have to get to the hospital early today because Mrs. Villa apparently discovered something new that she wants to teach all of the interns, and as Head Intern, I have to keep an eye on all of them," Nicole muttered with a sigh causing Gwen to laugh softly but she was cut off by a boy quickly running past them and towards a growing crowd of shouting students.

     "Hey, what's happening over there?" Gwen asked, mostly to herself, as she quickly rose up without warning, leading Nicole to grab her belongings and follow after her friend. As the two of them pushed their way to the front, they noticed Flash yelling nonsense and the Parker boy clutching his stomach on the ground.

     "FLASH! Are we still on for after school today? My house Three-thirty? I hope you've been doing your homework, last time I was very disappointed in you..." Gwen began as she marched up to Flash, he suddenly got quiet and stared at the blonde as she outed him, he tried to speak but Gwen swiftly cut him off "No, Flash, how about we go to class hmm? how bout it?" The bell rang, and Flash grumbled as the crowd dispersed and Gwen followed him after passing Nicole a sweet grin over her shoulder.

     Soon, it was just the two of them in that area, and she didn't know what to do. She wanted to walk up to Parker and ask if he was okay, but she didn't want him to think she was a creep because of the prior staring incident.

"Is your name Nicole?" A semi-deep voice suddenly called out and she looked over to see the Parker boy staring straight at her with his camera in his hand. "Oh, Uhm, that's really my middle name, but everyone calls me Nicci for short," she replied quietly, and he watched as she carefully took up his skateboard and backpack, "how about you?" she said, turning to face him while fidgeting with the skateboard wheel. "You don't know my name?" he questioned, rising up and dusting his clothing.

"I know your last name is Parker," she joked as she handed him his stuff, and he let out a quiet laugh, "It's Peter, Peter Parker," he answered, taking his stuff with a sigh. "Well, Peter Parker, I have to get to class, but you should go to the nurse since you struck your head really hard." She started to back away slowly, and Peter quickly nodded, prompting her to turn and walk away.

Peter remained frozen, a sensation he'd never felt before seeping inside of him, and as she glanced back to offer him one more grin before disappearing behind the double doors, he looked down to his camera and opened it to the photo he snapped of her moments before he got beat by flash.

     Her eyes were bright as she spoke to Gwen, her lips twisted into a pout, and her hair fluttered in her face from the wind. He instantly switched off the camera and hurried to class with the largest smile on his face, looking back one last time to where she was last standing.

                       ════ ⋆★⋆ ════
Word Count: 990
This is my first time writing a book so please tell me what you think. The second chapter will be posted soon :).