Chapter Eleven

TW; Mentions of death

╔════ ✿ ❀ ღღ ✿ ❀ ════╗

     "Hey," Gwen said quietly as she placed her fingers under my chin and moved my head to look her in the eyes, "Peter is going to be OK, you and I both know that. Relax, slow your breathing, and phone your parents to let them know you're okay. They must have called my father ten times while we were driving over here" She gently giggled, and I smiled as I reached into my pocket, but when I tried to switch it on, all I saw was a black screen.

     "My phone is dead; can I use yours?" I said, sniffling, and she quickly obliged, handing me her phone. Dialing my father's number It only rang once before my dad's frightened voice pierced my ear. "HAVE YOU SEEN HER, GWEN? WE TRIED CALLING HER, BUT HER PHONE IS OFF!" I heard shuffling and my mother's voice telling him to turn it up to full volume.

     "It's me. I'm OK; I'm sitting with Gwen in the back of George's police car outside of Oscorp. Where are you guys at?" My voice had become scratchy and quiet "Thank you, God! We're in Harlem in a motel with Bliss, Cookie, and Sugar. We weren't going to leave without you but the police had ordered a city-wide evacuation, and cops came beating on our door and informed us that they'd locate you, but that was half an hour ago." My mother's voice was trembling, indicating that she had been sobbing.

     "We don't know how long we'll be here; we didn't have time to pack clothes or food for the animals; they instructed us to take everything we can and leave." This time when my father talked, he seemed calmer than before but still worried. "Tell me the name of the motel, and I'll try to find a ride over," I said as I stared out the window, Gwen's phone still in my hands. People were yelling and sobbing, fleeing, shoving, and trampling each other. "Autumn Jewel Hotel, 2948 Sage Avenue, New York, NY 10030, Room 120."

     "What is that?" Gwen asked, peering out the window, my face twisted into confusion, and I opened the door, walking outside and gazing up, a blue haze broke into the air and began to rain over everything. "He did it!" I yelled, returning the phone to my ear.  "Hey, change the tv to the news station immediately and place the phone next to it so I can hear!"

     Before the newscaster began to talk, I heard more shuffling "An eerie calm has set in over New York City. Apparently, some sort of ...aerosolized antidote was launched from Oscorp Tower, which seems to have counteracted the biotoxins. Residents of  Lower Manhattan can rest peacefully knowing that the alleged mastermind of this terror plot, Dr. Curtis Connors, is behind bars. We've got John Niles on the street for a report in Lower Manhattan. John,  What do you see,?"

     The tv was immediately turned off "Curtis caused all of this?  He never said anything to me, despite the fact that he had been behaving weird for the past few weeks..." My father paused in contemplation "That's irrelevant now; what matters is that he's in jail and we can go home. Kaira, my dear! I'd like you to go home right now. We'll be there shortly; the journey is only 37 minutes. We love you!" My mother then hung up, and I handed Gwen her phone back as she came to stand next to me.