oo, perhaps.

—————————————————————————

PERHAPS INUMAKI SHOULD HAVE waited.

Perhaps he shouldn't have yelled.

Perhaps he shouldn't have sworn.

Perhaps he should have waited for holiday season to end before spilling out all his inner demons; perhaps he should have help his anger and quietly accepted it when she brought up where to put the Christmas tree.

Perhaps he shouldn't have gotten so riled up over something so small — it wasn't even a big Christmas tree, just a small fir in a pot with tiny baubles hung up on the sharp leaves; perhaps he should have listened, perhaps he shouldn't have thrown out his first opinion and then his second and then his third and then all the negative opinions he's ever had, dating back to when they first started dating.

Perhaps he shouldn't have called her a control freak; perhaps he was the true control freak. Perhaps if he'd just sat down with her to talk, and compromise, or even just scratch the entire idea of a Christmas tree entirely because neither of them have ever been particularly traditional in their ideas — they didn't need a Christmas tree.

Perhaps the idea of telling her about everything wrong with her seemed oddly, wrongly appealing at the time; perhaps he didn't thing ahead enough; perhaps he was too caught up in his irritable vexations and wanting to change them; perhaps he thought too much ahead, to think that if he piled them all on her she'd change and they'd be perfect.

Perhaps he should've thought of changing himself.

Perhaps he should've thought about paying her a little more attention than he did a serve. Perhaps he should've put her on top of his jujustu sorcerer career when it came to it. Perhaps he should've given her the life she deserved.

Perhaps he should've tried to talk it out with her.

Perhaps it would've been beautiful again.

Perhaps they would've strung up the Christmas lights together.

Perhaps they would've put up the tree.

Perhaps he would've gotten to be happy at Christmas.

Perhaps.

—————————————————————————