10 | déka

don't cry because it's over
smile because it happened.

Dr. Seuss

DINNERS at Agape's is always lively during Thanksgiving.

Ariel can't remember the last time she sat and ate with the people she loves. Between her months in Asia - she would have spent the entire year with Kayden if she didn't care so much about her job - and moving out and her promotion at work - the only excuses for dinners like this were holidays.

The table is lively. Conversations never ending. It's Ariel, Agape, Jasper, Kayden and Jeremiah, Agape's boyfriend of two months. The Thanksgiving turkey is probably one of the reasons Ariel's here.

Over the table it's easy to mock and tease eachother because this is where grudges die. Agape's talking to Jeremiah and Kayden about Nick and Ariel wants to die in her seat.

Jasper has his hair braided, courtesy of Ariel and while everyone's laughing and joyous, he's pouting in his seat. Trying to find a way to loosen the tight braids.

Soon after dinner's over and Jeremiah's cleaning up while Kayden and Jasper are having an argument about Disney characters.

"You are my best friend, but you're also the biggest coward I know," Agape says, drinking out of her wine glass.

"And you've had too much to drink. Should you really be drinking around Jasp?"

Agape waves her best friend off. "If he finds the concept of alcohol common when he grows up he won't worship it like most teenagers do," Ariel just watches as her best friend refills her glass and hands it to her, "and don't try to change the subject. We both know having this conversation sober is a dumb thing to do."

Ariel shrugs and grabs the wine glass from her, drinking it all at once and ignoring the bitter taste.

Agape watches her with a smile. "Don't be a coward, Ariel. I promise if you take a few more glasses everything will seem okay."

"I know, but it's just-"

"No buts, damn it. You've been holding this off for years now, Ariel. I'd rather die than have you walk out of this house regretting not doing it."

Her serious tone made Ariel sigh. Her best friend has always been persistent, growing up she was used to getting everything she wanted and more.

"What if she doesn't want to speak to me, huh?"

"Then at least you know you tried! Don't make assumptions based on what you don't know," Agape pulls out her phone from the pocket of her jeans, looking at Ariel dead in the eye, she hands it to her, "do it and get this over with."

Grumbling, Ariel drops the wine glass and takes the phone from her best friend. Staring at the contact like it's an oddity.

Agape punches her shoulder slightly. "Well what are you waiting for? Call her!"

And so she does. And it rings. Once. Twice. And just when Ariel is about to cut the call, she picks up.

"Yiasou?" Ariel's breath hitches when she hears the voice, it sounds sweet and familiar yet not familiar at all. Agape smiles at her and walks away to join her son, giving Ariel the privacy she needs.

She takes a deep breath before replying. "Mitéra, it's me. Ariel."

×××

and this concludes TOTGA, thank you so much for reading. your support means everything to me <3

but just before i end the book. a little glossary for this chapter :)

yiasou - hello
mitéra - mum

i hope to see y'all soon!

mimi x