four: indra's message

"all the lonely people
where do they all belong?
"

eleanor rigby by the beatles

sorry for the delay! have this long-ass chapter for your troubles <3

Avery and Bellamy set out early the next morning before the sun rose. They packed small bags and weapons. Avery didn't think they'd be gone for long.

The walk to the dropship was comfortable. Strangely enough, it reminded Avery of when they'd first come to the ground, when it was just her and Bellamy and empty woods.

Again, the thought of leaving briefly crossed Avery's mind. They could leave if they wanted, like Clarke did. But Avery wasn't Clarke. When she swore loyalty to her people, she meant it. Even if she no longer bore the title of 'King.'

"Hefa." Indra greeted, bowing slightly. As usual, Indra had beaten Avery to their meeting point. Avery couldn't see anyone with her, but she and Bellamy both knew there was at least one lurking nearby. "You're late."

"Only by a few minutes." Avery cocked her head to the side and smiled. Their meetings were serious, but after speaking consistently for several months, Avery considered Indra to be her friend.

"There's news." Indra snapped. Her tone was too forceful and Avery's smile disappeared. Something was wrong.

"What do you know?"

"Word from our spies in Azgeda is that Queen Nia is dead." Avery sucked in a breath as she looked Indra in the eyes. This was what they'd been waiting for. "Sheidheda will come for us next."

"Does Lexa know?"

"If she doesn't already, she will." Avery nodded at Indra's words.

"Keep your people safe, Indra." She put her hand out. Indra gripped her forearm back. Avery could only hope this wouldn't be the last time she saw the woman who had become her friend.

"You too." Indra said. She pulled Avery in slightly, keeping hold on her arm. "Yu gonplei no stei odon, Hefa." Your fight is not over, King.

Avery didn't think she'd ever seen fear in India's eyes before. But as she walked away, there it was. If Indra was afraid of Sheidheda, Avery knew it was warranted. The Dark Commander. Commander not King. He was already gunning for Lexa's throne.

As she glanced back at Bellamy, she knew what she had to do.

For the second time in her life, Avery King would prepare her people for war.

***

"ALRIGHT." Bellamy's voice echoed around their training grounds as the majority of the guard gave him their attention.

The Ark logo on his shoulder glistened in the mid-morning sun. It was hot as hell, but Avery saw all the more reason to train in tough conditions.

"Our primary goal is to prepare you for a real fight." Bellamy projected his voice further. "King, Lincoln, and Octavia are helping spar today."

An unsure murmur echoed through the crowd.

"Fight them, but, be warned, you'll probably get your ass kicked." Miller said. He laughed at himself as he walked up to stand beside Bellamy. His father leaned into his ear.

"Are you sure Avery King and Octavia Blake are the best people for this job?"

Colonel Miller narrowed his eyes at the two scrawny girls in tank tops as they approached the muddy field. Even Monroe and the other female cadets far outsized them.