eleven: how i met [my girlfriend's] mother

"all my troubles on a burning pile
all lit up and I start to smile
"

burning pile by mother mother

Amy first approached Bellamy in the mess hall. Avery had done a good enough job of keeping her mother away from him, but, as hard as she tried, Avery couldn't control her mother. Amy Joy-King always found a way.

"You must be Bellamy." Amy said, sitting down in the empty seat across the table from him. When Bellamy turned to look at her, he immediately saw the resemblance. Avery looked like her mother, whether she wanted to admit it or not. Amy's smile was almost genuine. It was nothing like Avery's.

"I am." Bellamy said, fighting to keep his expression neutral. "You must be Amy."

"I take it Avery hasn't told you much about me." Amy said, her lips forming into a smirk. Bellamy clenched his fist in his palm.

"She's said enough." It came out forced. Bellamy did his best to channel Avery and allow his emotions to fade away completely. Unfortunately, he wasn't Avery and it was fairly apparent that he was pissed as hell, even as he tried to hide it. How many times had Avery asked Amy to stay away from them, again?

Bellamy glanced to his right, where Sarah and Monroe were having a quiet conversation over their dinner. Sarah picked up on his wary look immediately. She'd already assumed something was up when she saw Avery's mom talking to Bellamy. Despite Bellamy's initial protest, what was left of the hundred would always keep a close watch over him when they knew Avery couldn't.

Sarah calmly said goodbye to Monroe and got up from the table. She walked out of the mess hall at a normal pace. As soon as she was out of sight of anyone in the hall, she broke out in a sprint toward the Lab.

"You know..." Amy said, the smirk still present on her face as she picked up a green bean off her plate and took a bite. "I never expected my daughter to end up with someone like you."

"Is that so?" Bellamy hated how when Amy stopped speaking, she raised her eyebrows until he spoke. It felt like a threat. Bellamy didn't like being threatened.

"Yeah, you know. Good guy, good prospects. Doesn't get in too much trouble. Except shooting a Chancellor...and that is a notable exception. Even now, when you're trying to hide them, all of your emotions are so clear on your face. You're so bad at hiding how you feel. Let me guess: you run into situations head-first. You don't think. Avery thinks just enough, acts just enough. She gets that from me. That's why you'll never be able to understand someone like her. Her dad was never able to understand me."

"You know what?" Bellamy said, letting his anger get the best of him. "I don't think you know what Avery is. I don't think you actually give a shit."

"Oh, is that what she told you?"

Sarah made it to the Lab in record time, all while being as inconspicuous as possible. She burst into the room to find Monty, Raven, Kyle, and Avery in their usual positions. Raven and Kyle were building something, their hands covered in grease. Avery was standing on a stool to reach a plant hanging from the ceiling, a blunt between her fingers. Monty was in the back corner, working on what Sarah knew was a kind of algae to help with plant growth.

They all turned to look at Sarah as she entered the room, panting. She rested her hands on her knees for a moment, catching her breath.

"Amy...Amy's talking to Bellamy." Sarah breathed in between pants. "F-figured you'd want me to tell you. Jesus Christ it takes a long time to run here."

"Where?" Avery was already down from the ladder, her eyes fuming.

"Mess Hall." Sarah replied.

"Avery, wait." Monty called after her as she walked angrily out of the doors of the Lab. He cursed quietly before setting a vial of algae down on the counter gently and walking quickly after his sister. "Don't do anything you'll regret, please." Sarah followed them.