Further West

Unedited. 

Chapter 11: Further West.

                             We left Adotlan at dawn, travelling west. The journey was long but the roads were good. I was happy to be on the receiving end of only three ambushes on the road. Two Saviour ambushes and one Gold-Hand ambush. None of them released that they were attacking the inner-circle of the Legion. Perhaps, they had thought it was just a contingent of the Legion travelling west.

We left none alive. Asha'da, forbid. The last thing we needed was a survivor speaking of the Seeker travelling west, bringing more trouble.

We travelled with a small squad of Legion soldiers – among them, was the first person I had ever recruited into the Legion. The tavern worker had filled out into an intelligent, skilled young man. Mahon told me in a secret, stolen moment that Tamas had it in him to take a leadership position in years to come. A compliment from Mahon.

We told stories by the camp-fires during the night. Took watch with our soldiers and moved out at dawn. On the roads, settled on the leather of our mount's saddles, we played games and passed the hours pointing out whatever we could see on the horizon. We stayed away from the road in places where they were congested with farm-carts and too many watching eyes.

The roads widened as we crossed from poorer regions, into the great estates of Naredan's lords. On a map, they looked to be situated at the points of spider-webs around the ancient city and Ainthoch's estate gave us a hub to be able to reach Naredan quickly, without having to stay in the city.

The farmhouses nearer to his estate, bundled on small plots of lands were untouched by the Saviours. I was overjoyed the spend time with the inner-circle. Well, Matthaeus and Taelan had not come with us, instead going directly to Naredan. Taelan was to stay in Adotlan with Greydon before the Commander was moved on. Matthaeus had gone directly to Naredan to skulk in hidden corners for whispers of the Insurgent. I hadn't been convinced that Mahon should have come – not when his position as captain was so vital, but he had argued that if there was to be talk of battle in Naredan when the Emperor granted us an audience, who better to speak of forces and supplies than him.

It would speak of a terrible time when the inner-circle left Adotlan together. A time that was drawing near.

I could sense it brewing like never before. This wasn't an innate Elven instinct or life-learned paranoia. This was something else. A shift inside of me that left a dark foreboding in my gut. The Saviours were quiet. The Gold-Hands were quiet. The Insurgent was quiet. The attacks were to be expected, but it felt like they were only doing what was expected of them.

Like it was a ...

"Distraction?" Kohen queried softly. The road to the Adotlan estate was long and private, framed by a private wood. We had already seen guards who had appeared from the shadow and waved us on. Our arrival was expected. I didn't doubt that they were following our slow procession to the estate.

"The world doesn't feel right."

Kohen smoothened a hand along his bay's coat, giving me a quick glance. "The Abyss clings to the silver in your veins. You are changed."

"I did not break another tablet."

"That mightn't matter." Kohen glanced back to the others, his voice lowering. "If you feel different – any more different, tell me."

"I will."

"Your mind promises." Satisfied with that, he dropped the subject.

Our mounts brought us around the curve of the private road. Sunlight broke through the trees and as the stately home of the Ainthoch family was revealed, I could only sit back in the saddle and stare. Great fields hugged the road up to the estate, with lush grass and beautiful horses grazing. Each horse bore the same burning sun coat of Mahon's sun stallion. An expensive, rare breed. One stallion raised his head, sharp ears raised. He surveyed us and I could see workers in the fields, stopping to view our arrival.