Iced-tea

Chapter 23: Iced-tea

In the great hearth, the fire crackled. Warmth ebbed into the cavernous room, the glow from the fire creating a barrier against the dark and cold that leached through the glass windows. Even in the dark evening, the noise from the palace had only subsided to a gentle whisper of rushing feet. The Dralion family had returned to their chambers, and I had found myself along in a cavernous room, far bigger than my entire suite back at Adotlan.

I had stood there, staring at the opulence around me for a few minutes before a knock sounded at the door. I held a blade behind my back, but there was no need for the weapon. It was the inner circle of the Legion, who did not wait for my invite. They clustered inside and Gwen brandished a stolen bottle of wine, and a pot stuffed with cheese and a twine tied jar of relish. "Cat stole this from the kitchen."

"I think we need to have a talk about your bad influence on Kohen," Mahon grumbled, stepping into the room. He paid no attention to the artwork displayed on the towering stone walls. He checked the corners, the windows and even knelt to check under the great poster bed. After he had finished that, he sat back on his heels.

"There appears to be no assassin waiting in the shadows."

I clucked my tongue. "Thank you for your assistance, Captain."

Gwen collapsed on a chaise in front of the fire. It groaned and Gwen bellowed out a laugh, throwing her head back. "Human furniture. They are tempting me."

"I doubt they considered your perchance for destruction when they decorated this room," Fyr shot back.

Gwen popped open the wine and held it out to me. "It is Elven, I believe."

"Ohh," I took it, sniffing it first. I wasn't above being suspicious of the wine being poisoned. If there were any palace spies within the Legion, they would know that the inner circle of the Legion spent frequent nights in the tavern.

Magic whispered back at it was clean, so I took a swig. The taste was crisp and dry, the taste melding over my tongue. It buzzed as it went down my throat. I checked the mark burned on the glass. "This is Veusthyal wine!"

"And that means..."

"The High Elves who guard the ancient forest of Veusthyal!" I scented the wine. "The Legion does not stock this. I do not blame them. The cost of it is extortionate."

"Do you like it?" Mahon stood, striding forward to look at the wine bottle.

"It is exquisite."

He tasted it. "It is ... pleasant."

I scowled. "It could be the most beautiful thing you have tasted in your life, and you would still give it a weak compliment."

Mirth flickered across his expression, and I took the bottle from him. We clustered together around the fire, sharing the bottle between us. Peace melded into my bones, and I felt contentment, deep and heavy inside of me. Moments like this – slices of harmony amongst the chaos.

"We need to find the tablet." Fyr mused. She sat at my feet, her head tilted back so that I could braid her hair. She nibbled on a piece of cheese, humming in delight.

"A goal that we are well aware of." Mahon sniped. "But do we have any plans to go about finding the tablet."

"The captain is showing uncertainty." Gwen whistled a breath between her teeth. "This is worrying, my friend."

"You would consider us friends?" Mahon goaded. "Are you softening, friend?"

"I would not have saved your life as many times as I have if we were not friends, Mahon."