Deep, Dark Depths.

Unedited.

Chapter 19: Deep, Dark Depths.

"What do you think, Shiny?"

The smoke was the Legion's camp rose into the brightening skies. The land around us was flat and green, the air burdened with the sound of horses, birds and chatting soldiers. Gwen leaned over my shoulder, tracing the lines of a Legion map. The coil of her curls brushed the strong edge of her jaw and the heaviness of her brow made her thoughtfulness angry looking.

"I don't know Gwen."

Our trades routes were bringing us closer to Naredan. Supplies for our soldiers, supplies for the people we protected. Did Naredan think we were taking from them? Everything was purchased with our own money, but Matthaeus had spoken of discontent in the city. He had joined us on the road to Dergn, full of news.

He said their food was beginning to be rationed or the prices were being hiked. Not that this was a problem for the rich in the city, but the poor were suffering. And as Matthaeus said, if they began to grumble and argue, the lords and ladies would look to shift the blame. Right onto the strange, powerful Half-Blood who moved closer and closer to their city.

Who better to blame than the stranger. The Half-Blood who held power. Those who had gotten help from the Legion had been grateful of the soldiers, the money and the magic. I was beginning to doubt the nobles inside Naredan would be too.

"He is acting the very same as he always does."

I plucked up a letter, unfurling it. A letter from Duach Stonebender. I clucked my tongue as I read it. "Duach's having trouble getting his hands on a copy of the palace's prints."

"Shiny, your veins will start glowing silver once you get near it."

"Gwen," I looked up from the letter, fixing her with a firm look. "You are now trying to pretend that you are not interested in the prints of the palace. You would give your right tusk to see it."

"I won't have to." Gwen sniffed. "I will be accompanying you as your resident expert. Just because I am excited to see the palace, doesn't mean that I cannot be concerned about a friend."

"A friend?"

The Troll drew herself up taller and stared down at me. "Yes, friends. Just because the Captain is easier to rile than a bear with a thorn in it's paws, doesn't mean he isn't someone I would consider a friend. I don't suffer the presence of those with riddled skulls easily."

"I wouldn't imagine so."

She grinned. "You know me well, Shiny."

We didn't go straight to Dergn lake. Mahon reminded me in that stern, no argument way of his that we had many responsibilities and there were soldiers and camps I needed to show face in.

As the days passed on our slow travelling journeys, I took the time to reconnect with the soldiers of the Legion. I didn't know how long our stay in Naredan would take me away from the true fight, but the last thing I wanted was for the people who made up the backbone, the heart of the Legion, to believe that I was abandoning them for the riches of Naredan.

At the evening camp-fire, I sang songs with them and listened to their stories. Their stories were as rich as mine, with worries and tragedies that were interwoven with the growth of the Legion. We played games on the road, traded tips of surviving the elements and I found that the weight that was settling over me beginning to lessen. This I could do – talk amongst people who spoke honestly and whose lives could mirror mine in many ways.