CHAPTER 23: HEALS ALL WOUNDS

(Why do you guys still read this?)

Turns out flinging your best friend into a sturdy brick wall with force strong enough to kill gets you suspended for a week. Which means days within the same four walls doing her work from home. Sure, it sucked being at home all the time. It was unmotivating to be in her room all day... but it could've been worse.

For one, her parents weren't mad at her for the most part. Well, they very much were... but surprisingly, it was Ani AND Calliope who convinced her parents to take it easy on her. Of course, they didn't take to Calliope's argument initially with her being a reaper but Ani's reassurance gave them the conviction to agree.Kindly enough, they left Ina to her thoughts for the most part, giving her food and water when she needed.

Secondly, the punishment was honestly a slap on the wrist. It all came down to Ina being generally quite the good girl. She didn't have a history of trouble; rather, Ina had quite the glowing reputation amongst classmates and teachers(putting aside her hanging out with Calliope Mori.)

And lastly, her friends made it all the better. Her social battery took a large hit since the idea that AO-chan could just lash out at a friend like Kiara... it was scary. But slowly, she built trust in herself.

A small knock.

"It's Enma."

"Come in," Ina spoke with little vigour, scratching up from bed, "You're awfully early. Something happening today?" She chuckles light, rubbing her tense shoulders. The noise dissipates until she notices Enma's darkened expression. Gently, Ina tilted her head. "Enma?"

Enma blinks, putting a hand out, "Today. I'm tasked to steal you away."

Ina stared at her with wide eyes.

"What?"

...

With unrelenting determination, Enma took Ina's hand and walked with purpose. She looked right forward with absolute focus, as if her life depended on it. Her grip tightened with each step and Ina watched her.

She simply allowed herself to be dragged. I mean, it was the first time that Enma took such a bold move forward towards Ina rather than Ina tentatively moving towards her. Who wouldn't let themselves get dragged by such a person? Ina was definitely curious about what drove her to do such a thing.

"Eheh," Ina smiled to herself, increasing her pace to actually walk beside Enma. She giggled weakly, swinging her arm with Enma.

Puzzled, Enma looked back to Ina, "What's wrong?"

"No, no... Nothing. Just happy."

"Happy?"

The priestess nudged her arm against Enma, brushing her skin against her's, "I mean, I love hanging out with the girls and all but... y'know, I like our time together. It's short but you at least know when I like the peace and quiet."

Enma wordlessly gapes at the statement, blinking in astonishment. The expression quickly diminished, "I'm sorry."

Raising a brow, Ina looked up at her with confusion, "What?"

"I don't think you'll like my surprise too much." Enma stepped into the arcade that Ina frequented, leading her in hurriedly, only to let go just as quickly.

"Hey, Enma--!?"

"Ina?" A familiar soft voice called out from behind. Despite the warmth emitting from the unseen person, Ina felt a deep chill settle into her back.

'Look at her.'

'Doesn't she deserve more?'

'You've held onto your feelings out of kindness, only for it to hurt her more in the end.'