Prologue

Hi All! This is the prologue to this story.  I haven't decided if this part will stay on this update or if it will be part of the beginning chapters.  I will send a notification in advance so it's not a surprise lol

I hope you all enjoy this update and the following updates to come!

💙💙💙

Maya West and Ryker Daniels have been best friends all their life.  Now that they are about to navigate their way through high school, the dynamic of their friendship is changing and so are their feelings towards each other.
Maya has always seen Ryker as her best friend but one day something between them feels different. Their friendship starts to border on flirting and crushing on one another. The change in their friendship dynamic begins in their freshman year and their journey continues till the end of high school.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Are you taking the bus or do you want me to walk you home?" Ryker asks Maya

"I think I'm just going to walk home.  But you really don't need to walk me, I promise you I'll be fine walking by myself Ryker" Maya laughs gently at the fact that Ryker worries about her walking alone.

" I really don't like you walking by yourself and it's cold outside. And I know for a fact that you do not like the cold"

"Okay okay, you can walk me home today, but you have to leave me to do things on my own.  You won't be by my side 24/7"

"I know I won't but it doesn't hurt to be there for you as much as I can"

"I know. I like that you can be there for me and I can be there for you as much as possible.  But we're going to grow up at some point and leave high school; we might not be in each others lives the way we are now"

" I know that that's a possibility, but can we just enjoy what we have and not worry about all that stuff till we cross that bridge?"

Ryker pulls her in for a hug and Maya happily obliges.  He kisses the top of her head and looks down at her. She smiles in return.

" I guess it doesn't hurt to live in the present moment and worry about all that stuff later"

" Exactly! We're going to stress over it if we start thinking that this" He gestures between the both of them, "Is not going to last"

"I know"

"Besides, you are my best friend and nothing will ever change that."

"You are absolutely right about that!" She smiles at him once again and  pulls away from him and starts to walk out of the school doors.  She looks back at him.
"Are you walking me home or not?" She chuckles at him.

Ryker looks at her for a couple seconds, and that's all it takes for him to see her as more than just his friend.
Deep down Maya feels the same way but would never risk their friendship in the process of 'what if'.

Both of their feelings stir but neither ones makes a move.
Instead they remain friends.
But who knows how long they can dance around their feelings.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi everyone!

I decided to start off this new book with a prologue, just to give a little snipet of what Maya and Ryker are like.

There will be more to come, but for now I hope you all enjoyed this little piece that I'm starting the book off with :)

Thank you for reading!

-ThatSociallyAwkward 💙