Chapter 48

Almost a week had gone by since the attack on the court. Turns out the whole thing had been planned. Ambassadors from the Eastern Court had tampered with their collars and managed to get them off. Amid the chaos, the Western and Northern ambassadors had managed to get their collars off, too, and the attack had spiraled from there.

It was rumored that many of the ambassadors had purposefully delayed the attack in hopes of finding me. I wasn't sure true those rumors were, and I wasn't really willing to debate their authenticity. Apparently, though, many had realized they were gunning for a lost cause when they saw me transform into a monster. They knew it was too late. Azriel had told me that now they knew the extent of my power, the attacks from here on out would only lessen. He hadn't stopped gushing about how proud he was of me, about how happy he was that everyone would finally be able to live in peace for the first time in a long time. 

I was proud of myself, sure, but I knew I wasn't done yet. As Zion had said, all it would take was a well-coordinated attack and this court would be overrun, and I couldn't let that happen. Sure, I'd managed to scare them off, but that was only for now. I still had a long way to go with controlling my power; what use would I be if I lose control and I'm put out of commission anyway? I had to be present for the whole fight, and that meant partitioning my energy in so I wouldn't reach Burnout. Something that took a lot of time and focus. 

But not even my savior's presence could lift all despair. The palace had a heavy air to it, a solemness that I knew would haunt the halls for years to come. People had lost their friends, their mothers, their siblings, and so much more. Wounds like those never heal easily. Even the buildings themselves had sustained some damage. Not much, but still enough to leave a couple of scars for centuries to come, a reminder of the fight that had gone down. The tragedies.

I'd noticed the look people had given me, how the name-calling and glares had stopped entirely. I didn't think they trusted me yet or fully respected me, but this middle-ground was calm and I would not take it for granted. 

Today was calm. Solemn, but calm. I kept my head down and my eyes forward as I made my way towards the archway, outside into the castle grounds. Part of me ached when I stepped out of the grasses, some of the dirt upturned and singed from the attacks. I tried not to look at it for too long.

The sky was bright, and the birds were chirping as though nothing was wrong, as though this whole palace wasn't hurting. The attack broke Azriel more than he cared to admit, but I guess that was expected with the number of losses we'd copped. It was one of the greatest casualty events in the last one-hundred years, according to Zion.

I strode out into the grounds, my feet taking me to the right where I knew the graveyard would be. Many graves had been erected this past week, at least fifty. Many had fallen, namely defenseless Omegas and Thetas who had laid their lives down for the sake of the pack. Some were missing, likely whisked off in the midst of battle and never to return. A few of them had even been in my class, and their absence seemed to wound us all. 

For a moment I thought back to Olcan and his friends, and I was eternally grateful that they had not stuck around long enough to have been part of this. I was thankful they were safe at their outposts, likely bickering and laughing without a care in the world. If any of them were six feet under right now, I think I would be shattered beyond repair. 

I wrapped my hands tighter around the bouquet of white roses, their petals fresh like winter snow. Azriel had handed it to me as a gift, but knowing it would make him feel better, I promised that I would commemorate our fallen by placing the flowers at their graves. That had certainly lifted his mood. 

The graveyard waned into view. People were milling about the rows, standing solemnly before the newer graves. Some were sobbing, while others just stood there numbly, reading their loved-ones names over and over. No one seemed to notice my presence once I arrived, and I was thankful for that. 

I headed over to one of the graves. Its headstone was carved from white marble, and as I read the words etched into the stone, I choked.

'Omega Tessa White, age 13. A loving sister, daughter, and friend. May she frolic in the Moonplains.'

Suppressing the sting in my eyes, I placed a singular flower upon the stone. So young, I thought to myself. I could only imagine the fear she endured as she was mauled to death by those barbarians, and my fists clenched. I thought back to the way I had mercilessly killed them, in a barbaric nature that was ten times theirs.

They deserved it, I reminded myself as I read the gravestone. For killing this little girl, they deserved what I did to them -- and more. 

It was what I'd been telling myself this past week, a justification for my actions. I quickly turned away, not wanting to face the fact I'd killed someone again. Sure, I'd done it before to protect my Omega friends, and this time was just as necessary, but that didn't stop 'murderer' from popping into my head time and time again. At the end of the day, I'd killed someone, and what did that make me?

I was about to turn towards the next grave when I heard a sniffle from behind. I crept a look over my shoulder, and what I saw made me freeze.

Azure was there. She was bent over a grave, eyes brimming with crystal-bright tears. Her hands shook as she placed a flower at the foot of a gravestone. She swiped a hand under her nose, and I noticed how creased and crinkled her clothes were. In fact, judging by her messy hair and clothes, it looked like she hadn't washed up in days. 

"Azure?" I asked before I could stop myself. Her crying stopped immensely, her gaze snapping up to meet mine. Several emotions ran through her eyes -- shock, embarrassment, then anger. 

I paused for a moment, not knowing what to say. "Did someone close to you die?" I asked softly. Her eyes widened as her nostrils flared.

"No!" she snapped, her voice strained. "Nobody close to me died. Get lost!"

Before I could get in another word, she threw down her flowers and stormed off. I watched after her in silent shock. What had that been about?

I peeked at the grave she'd been bending over just moments before. 'Omega Stella Moon, age 14. A loving daughter and friend. May she rest in the Moonplains.'

I jolted. I recognized her name. She was one of the Omegas Azure and I had set out to protect, the only one who had died because one wolf had managed to slip past our defense. 

I stared after the retreating form of Azure, cocking my head to the side. Who really are you, Azure?