Chapter 66

Zion

********

I sat there, shaking with fury. I couldn't believe it. I couldn't believe he'd allowed himself to lose control of his magic like that. I couldn't believe he'd hurt her. 

I stared at Azriel in disbelief, his drunken face slowly moving at the realization of what he'd done. His eyes were locked inside the cell, on Kyra's unmoving form. 

"You're a bastard!" I yelled, my voice coming out as a strained crack. "How dare you put your hands on her? How dare you hurt her?"

But that was the unnerving part -- he hadn't put his hands on her. That blast had been an accumulation of Lunar Magic alone, emanating out as he lost control of his emotions. Even from all the way over here, I'd felt the power of the blast, it's potency. 

Azriel said nothing. Instead he whirled on his heel and staggered away, face shadowed so I couldn't see his expression. 

I wanted to call him every foul word under the sun, but then I remembered that resounding crack, and forced my eyes to Kyra. Half-hidden by the shadows, I couldn't see much of her aside from her splayed hands and limp legs. 

"Kyra!" I called, panic rising to my throat. No response. This was bad. This was really, really bad. She was weak, with her starving herself and all. I'd told her to eat, told her to eat because I knew something like this would happen. But she was too stubborn. Even in a damning situation like this, she still held onto that bit of pride, that control.

But I couldn't blame her.

I squinted, trying to discern her figure amidst the shadows. If she'd attained any sort of head injury from that, it would be over. She'd die. 

She'd die. Those words alone set me off the edge. 

"Kyra!" I yelled, banging on my bars. My knuckles sang with pain, but I ignored it. "Kyra!" I had to get a response, I just had to.

"She's alive."

I stopped my pounding. I recognised that voice, the voice that belonged to a face I couldn't quite visualize. Kyra's friend, the one she'd done all this for, Alice... no, Alia. She'd barely spoken since we wound up here.

Silted silence ensued. "What makes you so sure?" I asked, trying to keep the tremors from my voice, and failing. 

"She's a fighter," Alia replied. "A survivor; I heard what you guys said, about humans rarely surviving the Epsilon transformation. If she can survive that, then... then I'm sure she can survive this. Plus, I can see her. She's still breathing.

"We just have to hope," she continued, "because there's nothing we can do, anyway."

I stepped back, sighing. She was right. No matter how many times I pounded on my bars, cursed the gods for what they'd done, one thing would remain the same: I'd still be behind these bars, away from Kyra, where I couldn't reach her. 

So, with a reluctant sigh, I lowered myself to the floor, wincing at the throbbing pain in my muscles. I'd forgotten about my injuries -- in fact, the moment I'd sensed Azriel I'd almost forgotten about my pain entirely, resuming a stronger state. And with my dwindling energy, I knew that alone had cost me greatly.