009 - restricted area

ⁿᵃᶦˡᵃʰ'ˢ ᵖᵒᵛ

ⁿᵃᶦˡᵃʰ'ˢ ᵖᵒᵛ

‧₊˚✩ 🪐✩˚₊‧

MOM AND DAD LOCKED THE GARAGE hatch for them to host this emergency-top-secret-totally-not-sketchy meeting while some lab men conducted tests on the sand in our Jupiter from that huge storm we barely made through.

It was ridiculous how those scientists felt the need to invade literally all of our Jupiter for these ordinary little sand grains. But there was obviously more to it.

Anywhere near the garage was strictly prohibited. That could only mean one thing.

I tiptoed to the main console of our Jupiter's cockpit. Our hallways were dramatically draped in sheer plastics while the tests on the sand were conducted.

Rubbing the slumber out of my eyes, I fiddled with the nozzles on the console, with static screeching louder than the commotion outside.

Of course my brothers could sleep right through all of this noise, I truly believe they could sleep through a hurricane as long as it was before 12pm.

There were now voices coming out from one of the radio frequencies of the garage, this was mom and dad speaking — and a few other folks. I crossed my legs down on the cold floor, toying with my pyjama pants as I tried to make sense of the context of the conversation I eavesdropped upon.

"...That sandstorm has been recorded as the most powerful...most violent in human history," A gravelly voice with a Southern drawl said.

Wait till he finds out about how exactly we got out of Earth alive.

"Moments after your Jupiter took off there have been reports of extreme damage to headquarters, including operations that hindered communication between several branches across the globe." A woman with a plummy voice said.

"So, what gives? You bring us down here along with your army of men in hazmat suits invading our Jupiter before I've had my morning coffee ... and proceed to tell us what we already know?" Dad said.

I could vividly picture his forehead wrinkling at his eyebrow raise, and his boiling frustration. One thing about dad; he values his time.

"Commander Cosgrove I...I don't think that that storm was anywhere near natural," The gravelly drawl spoke. I frowned. The sand I felt prickling and pattering at my spacesuit sounded pretty real to me. "I believe it was triggered intentionally."

Holy shit? Was that a suicide mission then?

"We're aware of the Christmas Star's effects on our planet, sir," I know mom's irritated tone like I know the properties of all the periodic table's elements — and mom taught it to us around the same time other kids were learning abc's. "So, like my husband so rightfully asked...what gives?! "