004 - rescue op

ⁿᵃᶦˡᵃʰ'ˢ ᵖᵒᵛ

ⁿᵃᶦˡᵃʰ'ˢ ᵖᵒᵛ

‧₊˚✩ 🪐✩˚₊‧

"MOM, DAD. DO YOU COPY?" my parched throat ached terribly from running for this long. Audibly speaking over the radio while your lungs and limbs were literally on fire wasn't the easiest to pull off.

Every moment of static mom and dad left me with meant yet another seed of doubt sprouting in me, wondering whether my sacrificing comfort and safety was worth it.

I consistently updated the status of their location through their comm radios, furrowing my eyebrows at their remaining idle state. I shot my eyes to the violent winds on the other side of this extended wall of glass.

As it whistled, I couldn't help but admire how enchanting and mysterious the view looked. Since it got darker, the outdoor lighting was more prominent now that if there were to be a few dozen spaceships soaring through the sky — you'd be the first to see them.

"-- Nal, have you found 'em yet?" Tyler asked over the radio. I sensed his rising anxiety with his voice heightening in pitch. It physically stung to have to give him the bad news, that I still can't even get a signal, and that they haven't moved since the moment I left our Jupiter.

"Uhh...Working on it!" I immediately turned my radio off before Tyler could make me second guess my judgement, I was already knee deep into this hide-and-seek game.

"Attention all Colonists: Please proceed to your assigned Jupiter pods. Automatic launch will commence in T-minus 3 minutes."

My panting hardened, the hard pack on my back weighing me down. I looked back to my comm to try to make sense of my parents' whereabouts when --

"N--...Nailah, baby, Is that you?" a more feminine voice called over my radio

"Mom?!" I gasped, I laughed, as I released the clench I had on my poor teeth, "Mom I -- I'm coming to get you guys, okay?" a breathy chuckle escaped me at the boost of energy I got to continue running full speed ahead.

"--Where are exactly are you, sweets?" Mom asked. Her voice sounded quieter than normal as I tried to find a significant landmark to give her a clue on where exactly I was running to.

That was when my eyes knitted towards the row of country flags hanging in front of the room with the gold sign of the 'HALL OF HEROES'.

"I'm by the H--"

A cold hard sharp object blew with full force to slash into my left cheekbone, narrowly missing temple, but the force seemed to get everything else.

And I felt myself in the air. And for a moment I flew — actually flew, only to meet my excruciating fate on the unmerciful cold tiles with the 'HALL OF HEROES' logo spread out on it, slamming my side against them.