2

George follows Sapnap to one of the walls of the Glade. He points at a spot on the wall. There, engraved in stone, are three lines. The whitened lines lay stark against the grey stone, reading:

Never leave the Glade, unless you're a Runner

Never hurt another Glader

Everyone must do their part

George looks back at Sapnap for confirmation. Sapnap nods, his expression stoic. "Break these rules and you'll either face punishment in the Dungeon or you'll be banished to a night in the Maze."

Sapnap's words are grim, there's no disobeying the rules. And from how his words are toned, George doesn't want to find out what happens then.

"I don't understand," George says. "What's a Runner? And what's so bad about the Maze?"

Sapnap asks, "Dream showed you around, right?" When George nods, Sapnap continues, "Well, there are many roles here. There's Runners, Gardeners and Farmers, Scrappers, we have a Cook and a Medic, Guards, and Builders."

"Oh wow," George mutters, eyes widening a fraction, "how many people are here?"

"Eighteen."

"What are you?" George asks curiously.

Sapnap's chin lifts, lips quirking. "I'm Second-in-Command, as well as a Guard."

Second-in-Command. Sapnap certainly looks the part. He has a certain presence about him that demands respect and order.

"Who's First-in-Command?"

"Punz," Sapnap replies, respect reflecting on the lines of his face. His next words are fond with familiarity. "He's a Runner and the Keeper of the Maps."

"That sounds important." George looks around the Glade, slowly putting the pieces together. "Who are all these other people?"

"You'll meet them tonight," Sapnap replies. He looks at the sky, George follows suit. "Follow me."

George follows him to the Box in the middle of the Glade. Sapnap watches the door, eyes expectant. George notices the sun's path lowering across the horizon, orange rays gracing the small world of the Glade. It's soft glow gives the Glade an alluring warmth, caressing each leaf on each tree.

"What's supposed to happen?" George whispers.

"Wait for it."

As soon as the words leave Sapnap's mouth, George sees them. Three men come jogging through the door of the Maze, not stopping. Their skin glistens under the soft light; sweat seems to coat every inch of their bodies. The head for the Map Room that Dream pointed out earlier.

"Are those the Runners?" George asks. Sapnap nods in confirmation. "What are they doing?"

"They make maps of the Maze," Sapnap replies, turning towards the Estate.

"What for?"

"So we can get out." Sapnap pauses and stops walking. He turns to George, expression serious. "Greenie, there's a lot you need to know, but for now, never, and I mean never, leave the Glade at night."

George's eyes widen and before he can ask why, the ground starts to shake. He braces himself, looking around fearfully. The grating of stone makes him wince. He looks around wildly for the source of the harsh noise and his face pales as the four giant doors around them close.

The doors move slowly, a loud boom resounding in the air as they close completely. George's face is pale under the newly darkened sky. Shifting of some sort is heard outside the walls and another sound accompanies it. Screeches and wails of some heinous creatures echo in the distance, their calls send shudders down George's spine.