Chapter 5

"Why can't I play with you guys?" Lovanna whined, tugging on her brother's sleeve. The sun beat down on them from a clear blue sky, causing sweat to drip down her neck.
     "Because this game is for boys Lo. You wouldn't like it. You'd get hurt and go crying to mom, and then she'd ground me for letting you get hurt." Caleb explained, shading his eyes against the sun.
     Lovanna's lower lip began to wobble and she turned her large sad eyes to Kiran. Kiran sighed and ducked his head. "I'll watch out for her."
     Caleb glanced at his best friend. "Why?"
     Kiran shrugged dismissively. "You know she'll just keep asking, so might as well let her play. I'll just make sure you don't get in trouble."
     Caleb eyed him. "Look whatever we do can we just decide now? I have to be home soon." One of the other boys in the group complained.
     Caleb shrugged. "Fine, but if she gets hurt on your watch I'll kick your ass."
     Kiran nodded as the group moved to their positions for the game. Lovanna smiled up at him like he hung the stars. "Thanks Kiran, you're the best."
     He turned his head so she wouldn't see his red cheeks. "Whatever Lovey."
     Lovanna rolled her eyes. "Don't call me that."
     Kiran just grinned at her. He had no intention of stopping.
—————————
     Lovanna bounced her leg as she sat waiting for Abigor. It was their first after-school meeting and she couldn't soothe her frayed nerves.
     She busked herself by counting specks on the ceiling as she listened for his footsteps. When they eventually came, she sat straighter on the bench and crossed her legs. She looked down at herself and breathed a sigh of relief. No skirt today. Just jeans and a soft white shirt with peach colored flowers. "Have you been waiting long?"
     She turned to see Mr. Rubrum leaning against the wall by her bench. His words were playful but his eyes had a low warning in them. "Not at all."
     He nodded and went to unlock the door to this classroom. He swung it open and gestured for her to go first. "After you."
     Lovanna entered quickly and took a seat at one of the desks in the front row. Abigor entered behind her and sat down at his desk. "I have some rules I'd like to go over before we start."
     She cocked her head. "What kind of rules?"
     He stood and made his way over to her desks, bracing his hands on it so their faces were close. "Rule number one, listen to me no matter what. You seem to make a habit of forgetting who's in charge."
     Lovanna swallowed. "I'll listen within reason," he roughly grabbed her jaw, effectively shutting her up.
     "Rule number two, no interrupting me. Rule number three, you will only touch what I give you permission to touch. No snooping in my desk. Rule number four, you will give your phone to me during this time. I want you focused. And number five, you will address me as sir. Nothing else. Am I clear, little girl?"
     By the end of his speech, Lovanna was practically seething under his grip. But she steeled herself and met his gaze. "Yes sir."
     A slow smile grew on his face. "Good girl. Now let's get started, shall we?"
————————————
Half an hour later and Lovanna was on her knees scrubbing the floor by his desk.
     Mr. Rubrum sat relaxed at his desk, his gaze never leaving her. "You're doing wonderfully. Just a little longer."
     Lovanna resisted the urge to roll her eyes, figuring it would get her in more trouble. She paused when she heard the sound of her cellphone ringing. Her head shut up and she met Abigor's steely eyes. "Who is that?"
     He glanced down at the phone. "You'll find out when you're done. But you're not done yet. So keep going."
     Lovanna three down her rag and marched over to him. "Give me my phone."
     His gaze darkened and he sat forward. "Excuse me?"
     Lovanna leaned forward, getting into his space. "I only agreed to come here so I have something to do between the end of school and my tutoring. It's my choice to be here so you need to respect me."
     Before she could even blink he had reached out his hand and struck her across the face. She let out a small cry and held her cheek. He grabbed her face roughly and leaned in. "Get used to being disrespected. Little girls who beg adults for attention don't deserve respect. You will come because I told you to. Do you understand me?"
     Years threatened Lovanna's eyes but she held them back. He didn't deserve to see her cry. "Yes sir."
     His grip loosened but before she could pull away and leaned all the way in and placed a delicate kiss to the cheek he had struck. Lovanna sniffled, grabbed her phone and ran out of the room, the tears now pouring down her face. She turned the corner and slid down the wall, sobbing into her arms. Had she wanted his attention? Was this her fault? She didn't have long to wonder about it before she heard a throat clearing. She looked up and immediately stood up. "Hey Gwen."
     Gwen looked her up and down and cocked an eyebrow. "What the hell happened to you?"
     Lovanna froze for a moment searching for something to say. "I'm on my period."
     Gwen paused for a moment like she didn't believe her. Then she rolled her eyes and began walking towards the library. "Whatever, lets go."
     Lovanna breathed out her relief as she followed Gwen. She knew she was a slut, but she didn't need anyone else knowing. It would be too much.
————————————
     I'm officially back to writing! I don't have an officially schedule, especially since I'm about to go back to school, but I'll do my best.
Hope you enjoyed <3