Chapter 7 - Harry | Prey

"There is something in the New York air that makes sleep useless."
- Simone de Beauvoir

" - Simone de Beauvoir

****

****

I haven't visited New York City in a very long time. The last time was a few years ago, when I still had normal working hours and vacation days as a cop.

Now I hardly have time for such trips. Every once in a while I travel to another city to find and catch a bail jumper, but as I said, that happens extremely rarely. I mostly stay in L.A. and I don't have a problem with that.

New York is crowded, all the people are always late and therefore hectic and you are lonely there, no matter how giant the city is and how many people live there. The advantage, however, is that you can easily disappear. It's hard to find a single person there again without a real clue.

I had that though. After I landed, I immediately made my way to my hotel, which was in the immediate vicinity of Madison's. I knew it was hers because the watch was there.

Of course, it could have been the hotel of the person she already sold the watch to, but my gut told me that she kept the watch. No idea for how long she will keep it, but she definitely still has it.

She is too stressed out to take the time to sell it, she knows I am on her heels.

On my train ride into town I did some research on her little friend, this Lucy Jones, and found out that she used to be a stripper. Maybe she still has old contacts that she can use.

Therefore the possibility offered itself that the goal of the two will be a strip club, in which they will steal the valuables of the customers. Maybe I'll get lucky and that's exactly what they'll try to do the night I'm in town.

I had no idea how right I would be.

But I could already guess back then that they would not choose just any strip club, but a highly exclusive one with very rich customers. That limited the search immensely to a few possible clubs.