𝗆𝗈𝗏𝗂𝗇𝗀 𝖽𝖺𝗒

The Harmon family were finally moving into their home

The Harmon family were finally moving into their home. Pippa, only weeks old, was still bundled in a blanket Alex had knit for her on the drive back down. It was brown, and had tiny black and grey squares dotted across it.

"Alex, honey," Ben Harmon called to his daughter, who was sat on the kitchen counter, feeding her kitten with a bottle of milk, "I was reading about a rescue centre nearby. If you wanna get Pippa a friend I'm happy to drive you."

The girl's eyes lit up. She had never been one for human connection outside of her immediate family, she was a cat person. When she was younger, her family had a black cat, Cody. Every day, Alex would nap with Violet and Cody on the sofa. Vivian and Ben both kept a polaroid of the scene in their wallets. Vivian owned a wallet because, as she put it, it was anti-patriarchy.

"Sure, dad, thanks."

Ben smiled at his daughter and nodded his head toward the car as the movers carried more and more of the family's belongings inside. Alex spotted one of them carrying some of her record collection. "Careful with that, there's original Beatles in there," she warned, giving the mover a pointed look before smiling. He smiled and held a hand over the bottom of the box to ensure it didn't split.

Alex held onto Pippa as she climbed into her father's passenger seat. He smiled at his daughter as he watched her cradle the tiny animal in her arms. "When you were little, Cody used to do that with you. It's... God, it's so strange to see you all grown up." He held a firm hand on Alex's shoulder, "I love ya', kid."

Alex smiled, looking at her father for a moment, "I love you too, dad."

Ben beamed a warm smile before starting the car. The trees were a faded orange colour, the leaves beginning to cascade to the ground. Chestnut coloured branches hung low over the sidewalk and Alex couldn't help but marvel at how beautiful her new home was.

The car ride didn't take long. Soon enough they were climbing out of the car and opening the shelter's doors.

The woman behind the counter greeted them with a smile, leaning over the desk. "Hi, how can I help you today?"

Alex's hands began to sweat slightly as the pressure of social interaction overwhelmed her. Her father, noticing her discomfort, answered for her. "We're here to adopt a cat. Preferably a young one that can grow up with the one we already have."

The woman behind the desk smiled and walked them through a door. "The kittens are to the left, through the blue door," she offered a wide smile before tending to her duties.

"Go look, honey, I'll be over here if you need me." Ben took a seat on a black leather sofa, updating Vivian via text message.

Alex wandered towards the first pen. Three kittens were playing in the enclosure. All around five weeks old. One in particular caught Alex's eye, a tiny ginger thing with bright blue eyes. She held her hand out for the kitten to sniff whilst the others continued playing, scooping the animal up after a moment. She brought the cat back over to her father, placing Pippa on the sofa next to the ginger cat, who she had discovered was a boy. The two almost instantly got along, and Alex couldn't resist taking a photo to show Violet.

Al<3
@ the shelter and i think i found pips soulmate?!?!

 vi:)al if you dont bring that cat home ill kill us both

vi:)
al if you dont bring that cat home ill kill us both

Al<3
im literally otw to the adoption desk now
pip hasnt gotten off his back im carrying them both in the blanket
names? hes a boy

vi:)
he looks like a wooly to me

Al<3
absolutely he does
ok im at the desk now
dads talking to the woman about light fixtures?
dude can u get the heat pad ready in my room plz its in the kitchen

vi:)
1)yes ill get the heat pad now
2)how did light fixtures come up in the convo

Al<3
dont even ask vi i don't know
ok otw home now pips asleep and woolys licking her i might cry:')

vi:)
good i hope you do now hurry up im so excited
ur rooms dun btw the movers put everything where i told them to
i put your books and stuff out tho u owe me 20 dollars

Al<3
shut up
pulling in now come help me carry them in