Silence In The Club

Sherlock headed to China Town, and I, although invited to join him, chose to pay a visit to an umbrella-holding government official.

My shoes clicked against the pavement just outside of the Biogenes club. Mycroft liked to think this place, and it's real purpose, was still a secret to me.

They created it as a building for the secret service to use.. but disguised it as a posh gentleman's club. Technically it is a posh gentleman's club, as Mycroft and his...chums seem to spend their time there, grovelling in personal wealth and power.

I opened the door and walked through. A bunch of old men were sat around in a long room, all staring at me in dismay. I cleared my throat. "I see you gentlemen are indeed very... busy, so I'll make this quick: where is Mycroft Holmes?"

They all watched in silence.

"Excuse my manners. I mean you no harm." I said.

The old men looked terribly frightened. I walked to the other side of the room and made sure he wasn't anywhere there. When I turned again, I noticed one of them had reached out their walking stick and sounded the alarms. In no time, I was dragged from the room and knocked out.

"That will not be necessary." Mycroft said to another man. My head was spinning. I opened up my eyes for the first time in a while. He turned when he heard my frustrated groan. "Ah, sister. How was your nap?"

I glared at him and pulled myself back up into the chair that I had originally been placed in. "That was uncalled for."

He chuckled humourlessly.

I huffed at him. "What's up with the pensioners these days? Total silence. Not one of them would speak to me."

"Tradition. It's traditional." He replied dully. He picked up a crystal decanter and poured himself a drink.

"That's ignorance, not tradition." I said.

He grunted. "I would offer you a drink.. but I don't want a rerun of Pennsylvania, I'm sure you'll agree."

I cringed.

His mouth twitched.

"So, why are you here?"

I pretended to look harshly offended. "Can't I come and have a cosy chat with my beloved big brother?" Emphasis on beloved to irritate him.

"You? No." He took a swig of his drink and sat behind his desk.

I sighed animatedly. "Sherlock's boring me. I can physically feel my brain dulling."

"What am I meant to do about that? You know he's always been the slow one." He said.

I groaned. "Find us an interesting case. One that actually needs - how would they say? - brainwork."

"Fine. I'll get my men on the job." He took another drink.

I chuckled and got up. "Mycroft's men." I said to myself as I walked out of the room.

"Hündin." He said growled sinisterly.

I laughed and shut the door on him.

I went back to Baker Street.

"Hello, dear!" Mrs Hudson called from her flat. She galloped out to the stairwell to greet me. "I didn't know you'd be back so soon." She looked around. "Where are John and Sherlock?"

"Off on a case. I abandoned them." I turned and walked up the stairs.

"Not enjoying solving mysteries, then? I don't blame you, I've never liked all that dead body stuff. Sherlock is always bringing spare limbs and rotting corpses into the flat. I don't know why I put up with it. I've been meaning to talk to his mother.. she must have pulled her hair out, living with him and his experiments for as long. But he's a nice man, really. Deep under that mysterious mask he-"

I interupted her. "Goodnight, Mrs Hudson. Try not to die in your sleep." I said firmly, before slamming the door shut.

The flat looked pleasantly eerie when no one was there. I turned the lights off and sat in the dark, in Sherlock's chair; deciding to go to my mindpalace for a couple of hours until they got back.

"Don't you dare, Sherlock."

I came back with a jolt. John and Sherlock were back.

Sherlock gave John a death stare. "It's science, John. You wouldn't understand."

"Cutting off your sister's ear and freezing it is not science."

"I'm just going to test what happens to the wax. She'll be fine. I'm 89.99% sure it'll work."

I interrupted them, "Get an ear from the morgue. I'd like to keep mine." I stood up, my head spinning as I did. Something was wrong. My body fell to the ground - knocking myself out as I went. Feet shuffled around me. All I could see was black. My consciousness was active but my body was limp. I tried to move but nothing would budge. My mouth wouldn't open, nor my eyes. The warmth of a hand wrapped around my wrist before I slipped away into nothingness.

•••