Heavy Shipping

-Back at 221B-

John walked in - with his fists clenched at his sides and a murderous smile.

"You've been a while." Sherlock said, not looking up from his phone.

"Yeah well you know how it is. Custody sergeants don't really like to be hurried, do they? Just formalities. Fingerprints. Charge sheet. And I've got to be in magistrate's court on Tuesday." He fumed.

My mouth formed an "O" shape and I briefly looked to my feet.

"What?" Sherlock asked, still not listening.

"Me, Sherlock. In court. On Tuesday. They're giving me an ASBO." John shouted.

"Good. Fine." Sherlock replied with a lazy wave of his hand.

"You wanna tell your little pal he's welcome to go and own up anytime." He added. His face was crumpled and exhausted.

I felt sorry for him. "I did tell you to run."

"Yeah, well I don't have the incredibly fast Holmes' mind, like you lot!" He shouted.

I raised my eyebrows and put my hands up in a surrender sarcastically. I smiled, "Go lie down" and gestured to the door.

He nodded subtly and started walking to his bedroom, until Sherlock stopped him. "I need you to go to the police station." He said, pushing John out the door with his coat.

"Oi, oi, oi!"

"...ask about the journalist." He ordered.

I looked at John with sympathy and amusement as he was forcefully pushed out the room.

"Oh, jesus." He complained.

Poor little hedgehog, I thought.

"Get a hold of his diary or something." Sherlock said to him, putting on his coat and throwing me mine.

We met Van Coon's PA - Amanda. She showed us his schedule and receipts. She told us that he wasn't an appreciative boss and all he cared about had a price tag.

Sherlock picked up one of the receipts. "Look at this one. Got a taxi from home on the day he died. Eighteen pounds fifty."

"That would get him back to the office." Amanda said.

"Not rush hour; check the time. Mid-morning. Eighteen would get him as far as-"

"West end. I remember him saying." She said.

Sherlock picked up another.

"Underground. Printed at piccadilly." He said.

"So he got a tube back to the office. Why would he get a taxi to town then a tube back?" I asked.

"Because he was delivering something heavy." Sherlock concluded.

•••