LIV: Last Requests

2 months after Ganon's defeat

Link's POV:

I woke up on the cold floor, lying next to Zelda's bed. I sat up slowly, stretching out the knots in my muscles and cracking my neck. I liked to sleep next to her... I liked feeling like I was protecting her. I hadn't felt that way since the Calamity and I certainly did not feel the same now because there was nothing I could do anymore. I pretended though. I peered over the bed to see if she was awake. 

I reached my hand out and placed it on her side. "Zelda?" I whispered quietly. "Are you awake?"

Her eyes fluttered open as she rolled over and looked at me. She did not look well. It made me sick to see her in such a state.

"Good morning Link," she said, her voice groggy. 

Sadness stung my heart as I looked at her, but I chose not to show it. No, Zelda did not deserve to deal with my sadness in her final days. I smiled and brought up something happy.

"Tomorrow's the big day," I said. "Our wedding day! How long we have been waiting for this..."

She smiled. "I can't wait. I can't believe it either... I get to marry you."

I opened a curtain and looked at the window as the light shone in. 

"Do you have any last requests, my Queen?" I asked. "I'm going to go visit with the leader's of each race today to make sure everything is in order for tomorrow. I can do anything you would like while I'm out."

Zelda thought for a moment.

"You know," she began, "ever since I was a little girl I was obsessed with silent princesses. I always thought... maybe it would be nice to have them in my wedding dress."

I smiled. "I'll visit the seamstress immediately."

I turned for the door before she stopped me.

"Oh, Link?" she asked weakly.

"Yes?" I said, turning around.

"I want to walk. That's all I really want... to walk down the aisle. I know I haven't been able to walk very well for the past couple of weeks... but if there's anyway you can talk to Impa or something... I don't know. I just want to walk."

"I will do my best," I said, smiling sweetly. I left the room.