XXXVIII: The Morning After

Before the Calamity

Link's POV:

Dear Hylia.

I woke up that morning in absolute bliss. I felt unstoppable- like I could kill Calamity Ganon with my bare hands.

Zelda was sleeping deeply beside me, so I got up quietly and put my clothes back on. They were mostly dried from our escape last night. When I walked out of the cave, the sun was shining and the birds were singing- that was the feeling I wanted for the rest if my life.

By some luck, I managed to run into a traveler who was willing to trade with me. He offered me Hylian wheat, cane sugar, and goat butter for some of my amber. I didn't even care that it wasn't a fair trade- the look on her face would be worth it.

Past the Fort, there was a house hiding in the woods. I found a cooking pot right outside. Hoping nobody was home, I threw my ingredients and fruit in the pot, nervously waiting for it to finish. It was perfect- it smelled perfect. I grabbed the fruitcake and ran, hoping whoever lived there wouldn't spot me using their pot.

When I returned to the cave, there was nothing that could satisfy my excitement more than her waking up. While I waited, I sat next to the cot and watched her. Words could not describe how beautiful she was to me. I was in denial of how I managed to get so lucky.

Shortly after, her eyelids began to flutter. She made a quiet moaning sound before turning her head to where I was.

"Happy Birthday," I whispered to her, holding out the fruitcake.

Zelda's dreariness disappeared slowly. "A fruitcake!" she exclaimed, her smile reaching the outside of her face and her eyes gleaming with excitement. "Link, thank you!"

She sat up and took it from me gratefully, holding the blanket to her chest. I couldn't help but be overjoyed just from seeing her happy. I rarely saw her this way anymore- she was almost always anxious or depressed. I felt very accomplished that I could make her smile while she was in that state of mind. I was also hoping last night made it better too, but I was too bashful to bring it up...

Zelda looked up at me, halfway through eating her fruitcake. I looked back at her, unsure of what was coming next. Then, I noticed her cheeks grew pink and she turned away giggling. She looked almost embarrassed. Maybe it was because I saw all of her, and she could keep no secrets from me anymore. But then again, what was her secret? How was it so easy for her to make me feel like this?

"What?" I laughed back at her. She covered her mouth so I couldn't see the food in it.

"Nothing," she replied with her mouth full and her eyes squinted in a smile.

I rolled my eyes and moved toward her, feeling the biggest smile stretch across my face. She giggled and screamed as I climbed on top of her, kissing her face everywhere.

"Link!" she laughed under me. I reached under the blanket and around her back so I could pull her up to me. "Link I'm naked!"

"You think I haven't seen?" I laughed, smirking down on her with a growing intensity pounding in my chest. She blushed again and looked away. "At least let me finish my fruit cake!" she giggled.

I moved off the cot and smiled to myself. For a moment, I didn't care about the Calamity. I just wanted to be with her, no matter how short the time.

Zelda finished her fruitcake and got off the cot, holding the blanket up against her body. She stumbled clumsily around, tripping over it. She reached down for her clothes and dropped the blanket accidentally when she stood back up. I didn't mean to stare, really... But I couldn't help it. It was like I was staring at the Goddess herself.