Chapter 1

You stared at the test in disbelief and a tiny pink plus stared back. A million thoughts were going through your mind but one was louder than the rest. Bruno. You had to tell Bruno.

You slowly walked out of the bathroom and saw your fiancé sitting on the sandy floor playing with one of his rats. He stood up when he saw you.

"Mi amor- " He started to say but cut off when he saw your worried expression. He rushed to your side and grabbed your hands. "What happened?" His voice had a hint of fear as he always jumped to the worst conclusions. 

You slowly looked up into his is large hazel eyes and quickly examined his worried face. The corners of his lips turned downwards creating a small frown.

You took a deep breath and opened your mouth, "I'm...pregnant." You watched as Bruno's face lit up. He picked you up and twirled you around before giving you a passionate kiss. 

"This is wonderful!" he exclaimed. 

"You're excited?" you asked. 

"You're not?" His face fell slightly. 

"I'm just scared." He pulled you into a tight hug and you buried your face in his ruana, breathing in his familiar scent. He rubbed circles on your back and spoke softly into your ear.

"Everything will be okay, mi vida." You lifted your head from his shoulder and looked into his eyes. He cupped your face in his hands and placed a tender kiss on your forehead. Your eyes became glossy as they filled with tears, not from sadness but relief. You let out a small laugh and smiled.

"I'm going to be a mom."

"The best mom ever. And I'm going to be a dad." Your smile widened at the thought and you tugged at his ruana bringing him in for a kiss. He reached for your hand and guided you over to a worn out red arm chair. Casita had adjusted Bruno's room after you moved in. The  floors before the flowing sand hourglass separating you from practically a million steps and Bruno's vision cave had been mostly replaced with smooth stone, covered by green rugs. Furniture had been moved in to make the space more livable for two people.

"Sit," he said in a sweet voice. He crouched down next to you and tucked a piece of hair behind your ear. You smiled and brought your head down so your forehead touched his. 

"Can we wait to tell everyone else? I need some time to wrap my mind around this," you whispered.

"Whatever you need, mi vida. We don't have to tell anyone until you're ready," he replied. You took a deep breath but then heard a squeak at the door. Turning around, you saw Dolores with a surprised expression on her face.

She had come upstairs to tell you both that dinner was ready, but ended up hearing something else. She sucked in some air through her teeth and left. You turned back to Bruno. 

"Guess another Madrigal knows," you said with a laugh.

"Guess so. Let's just hope she can keep a secret," he said with a smile.

"Knock on wood." You stood up and he placed a reassuring arm around your shoulder as the two of you headed downstairs to eat.