Chapter 2

You sat around the table with the rest of your family. Even if you weren't hurt, Julieta's food always made you feel better. Tonight, however, was different. You could barely eat knowing that any moment Dolores would blurt out that you were pregnant. 

Bruno, who sat to your right, could sense the tension. He intertwined his fingers in yours and gave your hand a gentle squeeze. You stared at Dolores as she nibbled on an arepa con queso, taking tiny mouse like bites out of it. 

"Are you okay, y/n?" Felix asked with a look of slight confusion. Everyone stared at you and small clouds started to form over Pepa's head.

"Oh, I'm fine," you replied. "Just feel a little sick I guess," you said with a nervous laugh. Camillo stared at you for a moment more, not fully convinced. He looked away after a minute and went back to his food.

"Eat, mi amor" Bruno said handing you an arepa. You took a bite and smiled. The food was good, but the real reason you felt better was because of Dolores's calm and almost uninterested demeanor. If she hadn't said anything yet, she probably wouldn't for the rest of dinner.

The conversations continued. You spaced out a bit as Antonio was telling a story that one of the animals had told him, but snapped back when Abuela changed the subject.

"...I just wish that my Brunito would have some kids..." You almost choked on your food.

"Mami!" Bruno exclaimed. His face tuned slightly red and he looked away from embarrassment. The rest of the family started laughing at his reaction. You looked up and locked eyes with Mirabel. She studied your face for a moment, then her eyes went wide.  You nervously glanced away. She gave you a smirk when you looked back.

 'Shit.' you thought to yourself. You only found out this morning and now two other people knew. You took a deep breath and looked away from Mirabel.

'Now or never.'

"Actually...." you started "...Bruno and I do have some  news to share." Julieta and Abuela threw their hands over their mouths. A rainbow started to form over Pepa's head and Camillo started coughing.

Bruno looked at you with a smile and kissed the back of your hand. You started to tear up at this small gesture and lay your head on his shoulder with a content smile. Dolores cooed at this while Camillo made a slightly disgusted face. Felix nudged him and he gave you a small smile.

Bruno suddenly turned to you with wide eyes. 

"What about the wedding?" The date was initially set to be in a few months during the spring, but by then you would surely be too big to fit in a wedding dress.

"We'll move it up," Abuela said firmly. It would be easy enough to plan a ceremony thanks to everyone's gifts, but...

"I don't have a dress," you said in a sad tone. Mirabel started laughing and everyone turned to her in confusion.

"I came up with a design and started working on it months ago," she said with a smile. If anyone else did this you would be worried they would create something you didn't like, but not Mirabel. You spent hours talking to her about wedding planning after Bruno proposed, including your dream dress. 

A huge smile appeared on your face. Although Mirabel wasn't given a gift she was rather talented with a needle and thread.

After everyone finished eating Bruno helped clear the table and Mirabel whisked you way to show you the dress design. When you got to her room she dug through her desk drawer and pulled out a piece of paper with a smile.

Her design was everything you hoped for. (This is my personal preference, but imagine the dress however you want.) The paper showed a flowing dress with a corset like top and sleeves that fell off the shoulder. The small lace details made the dress look so elegant and you started to tear up at the thought of walking down the aisle.

You pulled Maribel into a tight hug and thanked her. She smiled and jokingly shooed you away so she could work on it.

You headed back up to yours and Bruno's room. You were walking on air and felt like everything was perfect. Quite the change compared to how you felt earlier when you took the test. The room was empty when you walked in, so you wandered over to the small patch of sand and found 2 rats playing in it. You picked one up and scratched behind one of its ears. The animal gave you a small lick before scurrying away back to its friends.

Bruno entered a few minutes later and hugged you from behind resting his head on your shoulder.

"Do you like the dress?" he asked.

"It's perfect." Absolutely nothing could ruin this moment.

Author's Note :

Thank you so much for the reads! If you have any notes or want something to happen, please let me know :)