24

**** The men were setting up camp when...

"Boss, you there? Over."

"Go ahead, Charley. Over."

"Uh, you're not gonna believe this, but we found some cattle in a little boxed in ravine. Over."

All work stopped as everyone digested the words.

"Our cattle? Over."

"The 3B brand boss. They've been kept up. Guess the rustlers were waitin' for others so they could ship a bigger herd."

"Can we get 'um out? They in good enough shape to go back with us? Over."

"Yesssirrreee to both! Over."

Beau glanced around at his hands and family with a grin. He looked at the girls,

"You two up to turning the trip back home into a round up?"

"Yeah!" Kaylee squealed.

"Awesome!" Ava added.

"What are your coordinates? Do you need help? Over."

"There's four of us here and about thirty five head so we can manage, sir. There's a pretty well traveled trail into and out of the ravine. It's just been really well camouflaged, we woulda missed if a calf hadn't bawled. We could probably get back to you late tonight or tomorrow mornin'. I think this could be used as a temporary holding pen in the future when we're gatherin' for market. Over."

"Good man. The guys are already designating an area for them. We'll start back to the ranch the day after you get um here. No rush, it's been a rough day, rest up tonight and start 'em back tomorrow mornin' after breakfast and coffee, we'll be waitin'. Let me know if ya need help. Over."

"Thanks boss, will do. Um, boss, how the girls doing?"

Beau smiled and held the walkie toward the girls with the button down.

"Hi, Charlie!"  Kaylee called.

"We're fine Charlie, thanks for helping find us." Ava added.

Beau was chuckling as he added, "I think they'll do Charlie. I think we'll  all feel better after the girls see for themselves that Topper will live. "

"I think we'll  all feel better for that Boss. Any word when he'll be coming home?"

"Dr says he'll be there a bit." He turned to the men and added, "And I want to thank you guys, each and every one you. Thank you, I'll  never be able to repay my debt to you." He held the walkie to his mouth again, "See you when you get here Charlie. Over and out."

Beau turned toward the gathering, "That goes for all of you. I can't begin to thank you all enough for all you've done." There were many boots scraping the dirt and "Aw, its ok." "They're our girls too boss," etc. Beau had to take a moment before he could continue. Brett cupped his shoulder, so proud that his brother was the quality of man that inspired such loyalty, sacrifice and courage.

"I realize that men, but it was a dangerous mission. One you didn't have to volunteer for. But I am forever grateful and I hope you all know that if there is ever anything I can do for any of you....just ask."

There was much muttering and more than a few damp eyes.

* * *

Beau and Brett looked at each other.

"Well, that's a sure fine way to end the day." Brett grinned.

"It sure is." His younger brother answered with a sigh of relief. "Darn shame Rowdy had ta go on to the clinic to take care of the wounded and stabilize them."