15

**** Donna Farley, a Case Worker with Montana Child and Family Services double checked the paperwork prior to exiting her van. She took a deep breath and said a silent prayer that Charity was as emotionally ready for this day as a child could be. The Patterson's had done a decent job in caring for their foster child, but since placing Charity twelve weeks ago, Donna had developed the opinion that her direct supervisor had used far too much influence regarding the child.

Donna had not observed this with other foster children until placing Charity with them. As a result, the sad little girl had not been given the supportive and nurturing care that she deserved and that she, as the worker had been assured of. But, that was all water under the bridge now, the Kincaid's were going to be wonderful, supportive, nurturing parents.

She was sure of it, every time she had met with the couple she had the feeling that Charity was wanted and welcome. She wasn't exactly sure how Rowdy's likeness to the pictures Charity had seen of her father were going to effect her, but they were prepared to give her time to adjust. She had set down with the little girl and read the letters Charity's mother had left about the family and what Brody had told her about his brother, sister and father, the ranch and all the special people there. She had shared her own positive feelings about her meetings with them and that she was sure the ranch would be a great place to grow up.

Charity made all the motions of looking at pictures of the ranch, Rowdy and Bobbi, her aunt Trisha and grandfather, Yancy. Charity nodded her head at all the appropriate places but Donna honesty wasn't sure what all she had really seen and heard. She knew she'd done her best to prepare Charity for the change her life was going to take and hoped the child would eventually see it as a good change.

***

When Donna first arrived, she was afraid the child had changed her mind and didn't want to leave the foster home. But as she talked with her, she finally understood that Huggs&kisses was missing. The rainbow colored unicorn that Abby, Charity's mother had given her last Christmas. The plush unicorn that Abby had hugged hard before giving it to her daughter and numerous times afterward. Then, she told her daughter every time she hugged the stuffed toy, she could feel her mother's love.

"We can't seem to find it anywhere," the foster mother said.

"I gave her one of mine," a slightly older child said, "but she seems bent on whining for that one." Judging by the sullen and nasty look on her face, the worker wondered if the girl knew something about the disappearance if the beloved toy.

"Of course she prefers her own, her mother gave it her. It's very special." Donna said trying to read between the lines. Turning back to Charity she asked gently,

"When did you have Huggs last, Charity? Where were you?"

"In the bedroom putting my clothes in the suitcase. Sally," she pointed to the sullen ten year old, "said she wanted to see it one more time. Then she said her mama called her and she took Huggs when she went to see what Sarah wanted. But when she came back she didn't bring Huggs with her." Charity said, the tears running down her cheeks.

Sally jumped forward, her hands balled into tight fists at her side.

"That's a lie! That's a dirty, stinkin', rotten lie! You're just tryin' to get me in trouble before you leave!"

Charity sprang out of the chair, "I am not! You had him, you said you wanted to see him one more time and then you just took him and left!"

Donna hoped Sally hadn't thrown the toy away or ruined it. She had noted the spoiled girl causing problems with Charity before over the last twelve weeks. Other children had complained about Sally but it had not been so flagrant before. She would have to speak to the parents about their favoratism toward their biological child over the foster children - again.