3

After the encounter in the Glittering Cave with Team Flare, Serena was once again on her way to Cyllage City, content with what little information she was able to glean about Mega Evolution, but still wanting to know more. But now, she wanted to know more about something else. Or rather, someone.

She couldn't seem to get that one Grunt out of her head, no matter how hard she tried. What did his partner call him? 42? Does Team Flare not even allow its members to use their own names anymore? Who runs an organization like that?

He didn't seem to be evil though, and was way less boastful than any of his teammates. He seemed less willing to flaunt about how he was a member of Team Flare, or taunt his opponents. He seemed like an ordinary Trainer who was just masquerading as a member of an evil organization. Which made Serena wonder, why was he even there in the first place?

"Get him out of your head, you have a Gym Badge to earn and you being distracted won't help." She thought to herself as she skated along the dirt road that led into Cyllage City, passing by the townspeople before they could even react. Serena didn't want to stay long, she knew Calem wasn't far behind and she wanted to earn her Gym Badge first.

She had met Grant some time before all the way back in Santalune City. He had looked suspiciously disheveled while leaving the Gym Leader, and had nervously babbled on about how he and Viola were just close friends and he was visiting her before bolting away. Serena had her suspicions but decided to leave it at that.

Now as she entered the Gym, she could see him perched on the highest point of the rock climbing wall that stood in the middle of the large cave she found herself in. It was remarkably beautiful, but she had one objective, battle her way to the top and receive the Cliff Badge. That was her aim as she began the climb up to Grant, battling several Trainers along the way before finally reaching the elusive Gym Leader.

"Hey, Trainer. I've been anticipating this battle for some time now, Viola told me about your rousing success at the Santalune Gym and I've been eager to see this power of yours. Are you ready?" Grant asked, Serena nodding eagerly as she released her Wartortle from its Poké Ball.

"I'm ready!" She exclaimed, Grant chuckling as he tossed up his Poké Ball to release his Amaura.

"Then let the battle begin."

————

"So, what you're telling me is that you let a beginner Trainer somehow beat the both of you and then run off? Have you anything to say in defense for yourselves, 42 and 51?"

The Holo-Caster in 42's hands was broadcasting a live hologram of Xerosic, who at the moment seemed quite agitated as 51 fidgeted while 42 remained poker faced.

"We will continue on our mission to apprehend her, Xerosic. Her luck is bound to run out eventually, and once it does we will bring her to Lysandre straightaway." 42 said, Xerosic grunting as he moved out of the viewfinder of the Holo-Caster for a moment before stepping back into view.

"That is what I like to hear, there's a reason that Lysandre entrusted you with this mission. 42, you are to continue to tail her to Cyllage City. 51, you are to return to base for another assignment." He ordered, 51 glancing back at 42, though his face gave nothing away at the sudden change in plans.

"But were we not both assigned to this mission? Why am I being rerouted all of a sudden?" She asked, Xerosic seemingly rolling his eyes as the hologram shifted closer towards her.

You and your partner have both been made Grunt Leaders of my division, and while I could personally train them myself, 42 appears to work better alone and I have too much work to be done. You will return to headquarters and survey your division for a short time, I will assign you to this mission again if 42 still has not found the Trainer once you finish."