7

With relative ease, Serena had defeated Korrina and had earned the Rumble Badge, to the delight of the Friend Group and Alex and the dismay of Korrina. Gurkinn remained stone-faced, giving his granddaughter a pat on the head for a battle well fought.

"Well done for a splendid battle, both of you. Serena, you've earned the right to climb the Tower of Mastery and receive your Mega Ring. After you battle our Successor, of course." He said, a glance at Korrina causing her forlorn expression to turn into one of excitement.

"Yeah! We have a second chance to battle each other, but it'll only be a one-on-one battle. I'll meet you at the top, your friend can come along and witness the battle if he wants."

Korrina skated away and up the long winding ramp that led to the roof of the Tower, the Friend Group coming to congratulate Serena on her victory before heading out of the Tower. Alex stayed by Serena's side, relieved to see Calem gone for whatever reason that he couldn't pinpoint. The night had long since fallen, the Tower only being illuminated by large lamps, so it was incredibly dim.

"Once you've received the Mega Ring, Korrina can show you where you can rest for the night. The darkness of the night makes way for horrible people to appear, and we wouldn't want you getting caught up in that." Gurkinn said, another pointed look towards Alex before disappearing through a door just under the Lucario statue that dominated the Tower of Mastery.

"Are you coming? You might find out some more if you watch a Mega Evolution master in battle." Serena said, Alex rolling his eyes.

"It's not like a complete novice." He muttered, though made no arguments when following Serena up the spiral ramp to the top of the tower.

They passed by some Trainers on their way up who waved at the two, though no one stopped them to battle. The most challenging thing they encountered was actually climbing the tower.

"I see why Korrina wears skates everywhere, this is exhausting." Serena panted, Alex nodding solemnly in agreement as they continued upwards, though he couldn't help but notice the pair of skates strapped to the outside of her bag. Maybe she couldn't skate well?

They finally reached the top of the tower, where Korrina stood facing away from them towards the sky, the moonlight reflecting off the stone. It was beautiful, though Serena could feel how tense the atmosphere was.

"You know, every time we've battled, you've always somehow managed to win."

Korrina had turned slightly, a smile on her face as she looked back at Serena, her two Lucario both looking curiously between the two of them.

"But I thought, maybe I was just holding back, but you weren't because it wasn't in your nature to. You give every battle everything you've got. Maybe that's why I'm so eager to battle you now, because I don't want to hold back anymore."

Korrina then skated over to Serena, holding a large ring in her hands, a Key Stone inlaid in the center. Finally, the Mega Ring was within her grasp. She took it and slid it on her wrist. The fit was perfect, and Alex smiled at the excited look on Serena's face. He remembered first receiving his own ring, the one that sat on his finger right now.

"Now we can battle as equals, with no holds barred using Mega Evolution! What Pokémon will you be using?" Korrina asked, though one of her Lucario ran to Serena to stand by her side, shocking everyone.

"Lucario? Do you want to battle with Serena against...me?"

Lucario nodded, patting the Mega Stone on his wrist as he readied for a battle, his ally now opponent across from him.

Serena looked down at the Mega Ring on her left wrist, glancing over at Alex for a moment.

"What do I do? Could you...help me?" She asked, Alex smirking as he leaned in to take hold of her right hand, bending her fingers down to just her index and middle pointing.