#05: Not My Tony, Not My Peter

"Hi, I'm here to see Tony Stark."

Natasha Romanoff told you a long time ago that you could get away with nearly anything if you did it with enough confidence. For the most part, the advice had done well for you. Considering the receptionist was staring at you like you were a wad of gum on the bottom of her shoe, you had a feeling it was not working in this instance.

"Appointment?" She drawled.

"No. No appointment." You shook your head. "Very important business though. Mr. Stark will want to see me about what I want to discuss."

She stared at you for one moment longer and you gave her a bright smile. She picked up the phone from beside her and brought it to her ear, "Security⏤"

"Whoa wait⏤"

"⏤we have an intruder at the front desk that needs removal."

"You could've just asked me to leave." You sneered. "There's magic in the word 'please'." She blinked at you in boredom and you noticed three men in dark suits start to make their way over. "Okay, okay."

Quickly, you hurried away from the desk and toward the front door. As you walked, you let your eyes glance all over the lobby. It was crowded with office workers, but you noticed an abnormal amount of security hanging around. There were the three guys standing at the front desk in suits watching you leave, but you took note of various other undercover guards parked around the lobby. A man standing at the coffee counter, a woman sitting in a lobby chair reading the newspaper, and a couple more that stood out to you. It was odd. Even for a weapons manufacturer the amount of security hanging around was absurd. Why did Tony Stark have so much?

As you stepped back out into the cold, Peter's phone buzzed in your pocket. You pulled it out to see he had texted you asking to meet at a place for a late lunch. Considering you really hadn't eaten all day you agreed and made your way there. With all the walking you've done today, your entire body was exhausted.

Seeing Peter sitting inside the small cafe at a table brought relief to you. As you stepped inside he offered you a smile and a wave and you were eager to drop down into the chair across from him with a groan. His smile faltered, concern filling his eyes, "How're you feeling? Your side?"

"I may have overdid it with the walking today." You admitted with a grimace. "It's manageable though."

"You sure?"

"Yeah, yeah." You waved him off as a waitress walked over. He ordered first and you quickly picked something so she wouldn't have to come back for you.

Peter crossed his arms on the table so he could lean on it, "Did you find the wizard?"

"Wizard actually found me." You replied dryly and his eyes widened. "Yeah. Found me in Central Park and gave me this." You lifted the envelope that you had further investigated before unsuccessfully trying to invade Stark Tower. "It's got about 500 dollars in ones and fives, I guess the Sorcerer Supreme is a stripper on the side, a valid driver's license, mind you I've never driven in this city in my life, and a credit card to a bank account with nothing in it."

"Uh..."

"Yes, to recap, Yao the Ancient One gave me this packet to acclimate to this universe and apparently he thinks I can survive in Manhattan with $500 to my name." You set the envelope to the side. "So, unless the cost of living is different here..." Peter shook his head with his nose scrunched and amusement in his eyes. "Then yeah I'm sunk because he also told me he won't send me home with the barriers as fragile as they are right now."

Peter nodded, "How long does it take for a barrier to heal?" You tossed your hands up at a loss. If only Yao had given you that answer. "Well, okay, you don't have to worry about me kicking you out to the curb."