#06: Distractions and Bad Ideas

An uneventful two weeks had passed, but you and Peter had fallen into a rhythm. He'd go to class in the morning and you'd go to work at a cafe right outside of Empire State University. They were desperate for a waitress and you were desperate for money. It was a match made in heaven. The two of you would catch up for lunch, meet back at the apartment around dinner time, and then you contemplated your next steps while Peter left to patrol the neighborhood.

You laid on Peter's bed using his laptop to do more research, aka stalking, on Stark Industries. Nothing you had learned would really help you sneak in though so it was mostly a waste. You closed his beat up laptop and dropped your head onto the comforter in defeat. At this rate, maybe you'd just need to kick down the front door. Either you'd get arrested or you'd get his attention. Considering the Ancient One had essentially ghosted you it was your only option right now.

Lazily, you rolled to the edge of the bed until you landed on your feet. You took the time to set Peter's laptop on his desk then walked to the bathroom so you could take a shower and change into pajamas. Up until now you still slept in Peter's bed while he took the hammock. Only because he still wouldn't let you take the hammock. You actually tried that second night, but Peter simply pointed to the webs, hanging high in the corner, and said you could sleep there if you could get into it. Since that wasn't possible you were still in the bed. What you really needed to do was go out and buy an air mattress or something.

Halfway through your shower, you heard the window open and shut. Peter must have gotten back. That was pretty early for him and you had wondered if the city was quiet and that's why he was back so soon. You hummed to yourself and went back to getting ready for bed. You had the early shift in the morning.

_______________

"I could do this all daaaaaayyyy."

Sam had never seen a live train wreck in person, but he imagined it would look a lot like the ongoing Broadway show he was seeing in front of him. The only shining light in this pit of despair was that the tickets had been free. The moment it ended he didn't even have words to say. Him and Bucky stumbled out of the theater in shock.

"I feel like I was assaulted." Bucky narrowed his eyes.

"I'd say that was the most obnoxious thing I've seen in my entire life, but I've seen you flirt with my sister so..." Sam replied and ignored the glare shot his way. "Also, why the hell was Ant-Man included, but I wasn't?"

Bucky hit him back without hesitation, "Because nobody wants to see you."

"How accurate do you think that was?"

"I don't know. I wasn't there, dumbass."

Sam scoffed, "No kidding. I mean, based on how much you know about your boy Steve, on a scale of 1 to 10 how likely is it that he broke out in song midway through the battle?"

Bucky paused in thought for half a beat before replying, "6."

They only got a few steps further down the sidewalk before a familiar face stepped up to them. Sam was the first to notice the archer and pointed to him, "Barton?"

"Enjoy the show?" Clint asked. He had on casual clothes, but there was a collection of fresh injuries on his face shoddily patched up.

"No." Bucky answered.

"We running into you by chance?" Sam questioned.

Clint shook his head, "Not exactly. I need some help."

Bucky motioned to his own face, "Yeah, you look like it."

"Not with what I'm dealing with." Clint shook his head. He took a step closer, his jaw locked, then finally he spoke, "It's [Y/N]." Both men stiffened in worry. There wasn't a sentence in the world that would've snapped them more to attention than this. Well, maybe one other sentence, and Clint immediately said it. "She's missing."