#08: How About We Head Home?

"Hey, table 7." A co-worker called out to you.

You shook your head and glanced at the clock, "My shift is over in like ten minutes. I have plans later."

"He asked for you specifically. Said he's a friend." She shrugged.

The words were enough to convince you. You only had one friend in this universe. Peter must have gotten out of his classes a little early. This was perfect. You were mildly concerned he'd find a reason to stay on campus as late as possible to miss the date tonight.

You walked out and made a beeline for table 7 which was nestled in the back corner of the cafe out of view from the front window. Your eyes scanned the area for the familiar head of messy, brown hair, but there was none in sight. However, your eyes did land on a familiar, dark skinned bald head that had you skidding to a stop. Nick Fury sat at the table in question, facing you, and though you couldn't see his gaze behind the dark sunglasses he wore you could feel it on you.

Fury lifted the mug in his hand in greeting and you wondered if it was too late to make a run for it. Probably. Hesitantly, you crossed the room and stopped in front of him. There was something about Nick Fury, in any universe, that made you nervous. You felt like a kid who had gotten called to the front office and now you were facing the principal.

"Hi, there. What can I get you⏤"

"Sit."

"Yes, sir." You dropped down in the seat. With the way he spoke, you were beginning to wonder if this was somehow your Nick Fury. He set his mug down and then took off his sunglasses to tuck into his leather jacket. Your eyes widened at the sight of his eyes, "Holy shit, you have both eyes!"

Nick Fury furrowed his eyebrows together in some form of intimidating confusion, "Excuse me??"

"Oh, this conversation has already slipped away from me." You mumbled to yourself while mentally listing off every single curse word you knew. Including the Russian ones Natasha had taught you.

"[Y/N] [Surname]." Nick Fury said slowly. You assumed that when Yao gave you his little packet of goodies he must have somehow also listed you back into the world's grid. "Who are you?"

You tilted your head with a small shrug, "Uh, [Y/N] [Surname]. You just said." Nick Fury continued to glare at you and you were wondering if he was considering murdering you with his coffee mug. You cleared your throat, "Right. Not the answer you were looking for. Uh..."

"Over a month ago, there was an unusual spike in energy. It happened twice then disappeared. We traced it to somewhere in this vicinity. About a week later that same energy spike hit but this time it was louder. We traced it a bit further..." Fury leaned on the table and pointed to you, "...and we found you."

You gave him a sheepish smile, "Whoops." He wasn't amused. You reminded yourself that this was not your Fury who was used to your personality. The two working eyes were a pretty good reminder of that. "Listen, Fury⏤"

"How do you know my name?"

"Son of a⏤" You sighed and covered your face in frustration for one moment. You pulled your hands away and met his gaze. "Okay, look, I'm gonna shoot you straight. My name is [Y/N] [Surname] and I am an Avenger. Now, I know that means nothing in this universe, but I actually came from a different universe. Those energy spikes were people passing through the barriers separating the universes. I was the last to come through. Also, in the universe I've just come from, you exist. We're actually kind of friends? Well, less friends and more you're my boss. You run the Avengers, sort of. I mean, more than half of us are dead or missing but..."