Stop Screwing Everything Up

(lol its been like 4 months and ive been procrastinating but you guys are so nice so i guess ill write something)

"Hi," Draco slid into the seat across from Harry.

Harry glanced up from the textbook he was reading. "Oh, um, hey." He grinned inwardly and resumed his book.

"What are... what are you reading?"  Draco asked after a few minutes. He looked down at the table, avoiding Harry's eyes.

"I'm trying to read this, ah, chapter on rare ingredients and how to use them, but I've been having trouble. I'ts just difficult to me to focus on books, sometimes. Also, I'm not good at remembering stuff." Harry was babbling, and he knew it. He was just trying to stall the inevitable conversation they both knew had to happen.

"Mind if I, um, take a look?" Draco didnt wait for Harry to pass him the book. He stood up, and sat in the seat next to Harry.

Harry moved his chair a little closer to Draco's. He pointed out the section he was having issues with.

"Oh, this, this is simple stuff." Draco nodded. Harry made a face. "I didnt mean it like that. I didnt mean to make you feel bad. I- I just meant that it'll be easy, once you get the hang of it."

Harry bit his lip. "Yeah. Yeah, makes sense."  He pointed to an ingredient he didnt recognize. "What's this?"

Draco smiled that rare little half smile of his. "It is used to reduce the potency of Dragon's Blood in a potion." Harry nodded.

Harry not-so-accidentally moved his hand to be touching Draco's. Draco pressed his lips together. Harry felt his resolve slip away- it took all of his willpower to not kiss him right now. They started to move towards each other, only centimeters apart.

Draco pointed out another phrase to Harry, and explained it, but he was only half listening. "Is there anything else you dont understand?"

"Can I.. can I ask you something, instead?" Harry asked, quietly.

Draco felt his heart sink. They had been avoiding the topic, but they both knew he wasnt there for studying.

"Um, sure. Dont.. dont make it too stupid." Draco tried to joke. Harry didnt laugh.

"Why do I make you so nervous?" Harry hadnt turned his body in his chair, only his head. Harry could feel the warmth of Draco's knee on his. He knew he would feel it long after they stopped touching.

"No, it's just me I guess." Draco frantically tried to dig himself out of this hole, but it was too late.

Harry pursed his lips. "Yeah, but, Hermione doesnt make you this nervous. Why, why me? Am I doing something... wrong?"

Draco internally said, fuck it, and shook his head. "No, it's because you're doing everything right."

Harry felt like his heart was going to burst. He shouldnt have asked that. He wasnt even sure what he wanted. What did he want? Was he even interested in Draco? He shouldnt have asked a question he wanted the answer to.

"You can't do that." Harry wrung his hands under the table, out of Draco's view.

"Do.. what?" Draco felt that arrogant sneer appear on his face, but he would rather do that than grin like an idiot, which is what he would be doing otherwise.

"You cant just say something like that." Harry wanted to take back every word he said. He wanted to just kiss that smirk off his face- no, Harry, stop it- he wanted to- oh, fuck, Harry, stop it.

"What do- what do you mean?" Draco looked so- Harry, stop it- when he was flustered.

Harry felt his confidence growing. "Nothing. Nevermind. Forget I said it. You'll do that anyway."

The color drained from Draco's face, or, the little color he had. "I dont-"

"You pretended you didnt kiss me, didnt you?" Harry realized he said that a bit too loud, as a neighboring table looked over.

"Ha- I-" Draco stumbled over his tongue as if it were foreign to his mouth.

"Do you regret it?" Harry willed himself to stop it, stop talking to him like that, dammit, Harry. "Kissing me, that is."

Draco looked at Harry, his wide, green eyes, the tiny freckles on his nose that no one would notice unless they were looking, his eager mouth, waiting for his response. Draco wondered which of them were in deeper by this point.

Harry wanted to redo the entire conversation. He didnt want it to go this way. He wanted to just gather Draco in his arms and not say a word. When he said things, Draco shut down, and Harry didnt want that. He realized he was making this more difficult for himself by questioning everything.

Maybe it was for the better that they werent together. They would fight all the time, with Harry filled with regret, and Draco with whatever it is he felt. Harry had no idea how Draco felt about anything, especially him.

"Yes. I do," Draco said, and Harry swore he heard his heart shatter into a million pieces. His lungs expanded with disappointment. Draco left, and Harry was left in his mess of emotions.

He wasnt sure what he wanted, but it wasnt this.