He Couldnt Say He Didnt Like It

"Harry, are you alright?" Ron's voice snapped Harry of of his reverie.

        "Yeah," Harry instinctively answered, but he didn't know if he was telling the truth.

        There wasn't anything wrong with him. At least, not in the usual sense. It's just that he's been a little... distracted, lately. Distracted by a certain pale haired boy, to be exact.

        It's been a little over a week since Harry confronted Draco, and things hadn't changed. In Potions, Draco still avoided his gaze, and they hadn't exchanged anything close to a word. He had spoken to Hermione of course, but she hadn't been of much assistance.

        "Harry, why don't you just talk to him?" She wouldn't answer any of his questions about why Draco was acting like this, even though she clearly knew.

        "You've been a little, I dunno, off," Ron shrugged as he continued to eat his stew.

        "Yeah," Harry said again, then realized that was the wrong answer. "I'm just thinking about the next Quidditch game," He finished lamely.

        He of course was not thinking about Quidditch, and his team had actually suffered over the last week because of him. They had played four games over the past seven days, and they lost every one of them. The game against Slytherin was almost embarrassing.

        "Yeah, well, you'd better think harder. We cant afford to lose again."

        "Leave him alone," Hermione cut in as she sat down, her face buried in a book.

        "No, Ron's right," Harry nodded. "It's my fault we've been losing."

        "Yeah, you're right. Harry, why don't you go check out a book about Quidditch? From the library? So you get better." Hermione gave Harry a meaningful look, but he still didn't understand.

        "Why-"

        "Harry, I really think this would benefit you. Remember when you asked me earlier about it? I found the book."

        Then Harry understood.

        "You're right, I think I'll go. I'm done with dinner anyway." He left, ignoring Ron's protests.

        Once in the library, he realized he had no idea where to go. Luckily, he spotted Draco before he could look like too much of an idiot.

        "Hello," He said quietly as he slid into the chair across from Draco. Draco didn't give him much more than a glance, his gray eyes peering up at Harry through his dark eyelashes.

        "Um, Draco?"

        Draco gave him his full attention. "Yes?"

        "Let's just promise to be honest with each other, until we both leave here today."

        Harry saw Draco visibly swallow, and he nodded. "That Sounds fine."

        "First of all, I want to know why you've been ignoring me. I know we aren't friends, but I thought we were at least a little more mature than giving each other the silent treatment." Harry had the adrenaline rush one gets after finally controlling a situation, and he couldn't say he didn't like it.

        "Well," Draco seemed to struggle with his words. "I didn't know how to talk to you."

        "Yeah, but what does that mean?"

        Draco sighed. "That means I don't know how to answer you. I don't know how to speak, to get my ideas across to you without sounding... completely pathetic- uh pathetically stupid. I don't like sounding stupid."

        Harry knew the feeling. Countless times he had said something stupid in front of a girl he liked, and he didn't like the feeling. But most of the time, he didn't care about sounding stupid unless it was that type of situation. Maybe Draco was different, though. Maybe...

        "You've never had a problem with talking to me before! Besides, I only wanted you to treat me like a human being, not confess your undying love for me." Harry joked, but he quickly realized that wasnt a joke.

        "Sorry," He quickly amended, and it seemed to be enough for Draco.

        Draco didn't say anything.

        "Draco, what is this? I mean, are we friends? What is our relationship?"

        Harry almost winced. He hadn’t really thought this through, and he didn’t like being rash. It never worked out in his favor, and he didn’t expect this to.

        He also didn’t want to come across like that to Draco, but he didn’t really know why.

        ”Uh-“

        Harry realized he had put Draco into a corner of some sort, and he didn’t want to do that. But he needed to know what Draco thought, and depending on the answer, he could decide to drop it. He knew he wouldn’t be able to forget about this so quickly.

        ”Why do you always do that?”

        ”Do what?” Draco’s voice was soft. He seemed much more comfortable discussing his flaws than his emotions.

        Harry wanted to make Draco feel better, but he quickly pushed the thought out of his head. That’s not what you’re here to do.

        ”Shut down,” Harry didn’t really know what he was saying; he just kind of made it up as he went. “That’s why you were ignoring me. The second we get close to, I dunno, being acquaintances, you pretend I don’t exist.”

        Draco sighed. “We’re not all  as comfortable with things like that as you are.”

        ”Well, sorry. Should I just go? I mean we’re not going to have a conversation after this anyway. Why are we wasting our breaths?”

        ”Well, maybe I don’t want to talk to you. Just because Hermione tried to set us up two weeks ago doesn’t mean that we’re automatically best friends.”

        ”Except you do want to talk to me. If you didn’t, you wouldn’t be here.”

        Draco rubbed his temples with his index fingers. “I don’t have time for this heart-to-heart.”

        Harry nodded. “Fine. Leave. But answer my question first.” Draco was standing now, ready to leave.

        ”Which one?” A small smile tugged at the corner of Draco’s lips, and Harry wanted to make him laugh, to make him happy. He couldn’t remember ever seeing him really smile, and he wanted to change that. Stop it.

        ”You know which one,”

        Draco didn’t say anything. At least, not with words. What he said with his actions was a whole other story.

        Draco stopped in front of Harry, and Harry’s mind tried to keep up with things as they played out, but it eventually gave up.

        Then, they were kissing, or at least, Draco was kissing Harry. It was over in less than two seconds, but Harry knew those two seconds were going to change everything.

        ”That’s not- I- ” Draco faltered. “I- I’m so sorry.”

        Draco left, and Harry was left to figure out what it all meant, and how he felt about it.